xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Saint_Michael

Movie Review - Transformers: Revenge Of The Fallen

Just got back from seeing Transformers: Revenge of The Fallen and I have to say that this movie is more superior to the first one in so many ways. Also I have a few words for Roger Ebert after my review of this movie. So what I can tell you is that this movie is set two years after the first and the battle on Earth between the humans/Autobots and Decepticons is well underway and with a warning that the Fallen is coming. That is where the story begins and two and half hours later the ultimate showdown would end in some of the best fight scenes computer technology could produce. Posted ImageLike a true sequel, this movie had more robots and fight scenes and a great story along with as the action was non stop and also fast pace as well.

Though the non-fight scenes slowed it down just a bit to tell the story and give some background info, those scenes seem to go by quick as you got right back into the fighting. As for character development, it depends how you interpret because obviously doing what they did with the parents was a mistake, luckily they corrected that towards the end. As hot as Megan Fox is, to me I think they went a tad overboard with making her too hot in this movie, not saying there is anything wrong with it but there was two scenes that brought way to much focus on her.

As for the college room mate, to distracting especially when talking about his man stuff, granted the movie is PG-13 that was not needed. As for the Transformers and Decepticons , well they didn't give much development with the new ones, and although the Fallen was the main villain in this movie, his background story and actual fight scenes were rather short. It is funny though, they did the same with Megatron in the first one as the movie was close to the end.

Granted these robots don't need much of a back story and odds are that will be filled in somewhere in the movie time line, but it would been nice to have more dialogue between the new ones. Even though the twins had a good chunk of that dialogue between all the new robots. As for the rest of the human characters background, well, one of them should even be alive as he should have been killed off in the first one and figuring that one out should be easy enough. Oh as for rewriting the script to explain Shia's broken hand, good one (sarcasm). It was never explained in the movie and just like movie magic, poof there it is.

As for John Turturro's character, I was a bit surprise how they did him in, but his acting style for this movie and his mannerism were pure gold for this movie. The fight scenes themselves, pure awesome, as Michael Bay knows how to mix reality and computer generated images into one and make it look real enough. Explosions awesome, gun battle sweet Regardless of the minor flaws in this movie, I see this movie matching or making more then the first one and because of the Wednesday opening, I see a solid $100 million or more opening weekend and staying #1 for at least 3 weeks since Harry Potter doesn't come out till mid July.

So yeah, go see this movie as we need to generate $320 million before the Harry Potter fans knock it out of first place. Now on to Roger Ebert.

Roger Ebert R E T I R E! Your movie review was a joke and plain horrible, go back and review Broadway shows and Sundance films because your a critic that has yet to welcome 21st century action movies. There is one thing I have to agree with and that is the parents at the beginning of the movie and the college room mate after that, your bias to this movie franchise is unneeded and pointless as the box office will prove you oh so wrong. As for anyone else who thinks this movie sucks especially the people at VN Boards.

I have yet to watch this transformers sequel. It opens in theaters today for us here, but i don't have it on my schedule just yet. :(I however have read the reviews already yesterday, including roger ebert's. :angel: i dunno if it's gonna taint my assessment of the movie later on though. :excl: but having you as a staunch defender of the movie, your review will factor in the final equation. after all the hype before the opening day of transformers: revenge of the fallen, it's but natural for spectators to expect much from the movie. but director michael bay seems to have missed the target market by a large margin: transformers = robots, and robots are as much for kids as for teens and adults. getting the PG13 rating is a big letdown from the very start, especially for kids who would crave to watch it. :) i won't critique its plot, technical artistry, acting and characterization just yet (of course, i haven't watched it yet :excl:)... i'll just try to remember when i watch it that it's intended to be a "fun movie" as Bay extolled in an interview (though it could be an early disclaimer for those who may get disappointed after the credits roll hehe?).i'm excited to watch the 40+ transformers in the movie though. :excl: plus the world record explosions as the humans duck and dive around.

Well... PG-13 isn't saying much. Its not like that many kids under 12 are going to the movies without their parents anyway, and I don't know any parent who wouldn't let their 6-year-old see TRANSFORMERS2 just because of the rating. This was the first 2+ hours movie that I have watched without checking my watch at some point in the middle. Yes, there is talking, there is dialogue, but its not boring 'cause its all fairly important to the plot. The action is good, its fast, its dramatic, and its big. This was expected. It was delivered. However, I disagree with Saint_Michael's opinion on the roommate, Sam's mom, and Megan Fox. These characters are in place to provide a measure of comic relief. Without them, the movie is just robots beating each other up, and although this is cool, it very quickly becomes numbing if there is nothing to release the pressure at least once in a while. As for Megan, her job in this movie is to be hot, and I don't really see how it was overdone. Don't tell me you didn't laugh at the Wheelie scene. (Okay, fine, you can tell me that, but I probably won't believe you.) Overall, I thought it was a great film. I didn't expect anything from it, and I had a good time, which is all that's important, really. I wasn't bothered by any of the things mentioned in the OP, but then again I'm 18 and male, which puts me pretty squarely in the middle of the target demographic.

I haven't seen Transformers 2 but I didn't like the first one so I'm a bit hesitant to watch Revenge of the Fallen. I don't know, I guess it wasn't my type of movie. I like science fiction and Transformers/robots are kind of cool, but it was just too, I don't know, something. What does Megan Fox looking hot have to do with Robots from another planet battling it out on Earth? Why does one of the robots talk like a rapper? I know the movie's explanation, but still, the whole movies just weird. I know it's supposed to be a fun movie, but it wasn't much fun for me. A friend told me to watch it and I could barely get through the movie and it took me three days to finish it. That's about all I remember from the mostly forgettable Transformers 1.To be fair, my friend thought Transformers was the best thing ever and got all mad when I said it was bad.. so I guess everyone's different.Roger Ebert has some pretty harsh reviews of the Transformers Franchise, it's not that I really disagree with his review (on Transformers movies), but he could be a little less sensationalistic. He's just looking to be controversial by being so offensive lol.

Edited by rob86 (see edit history)

Well... PG-13 isn't saying much. Its not like that many kids under 12 are going to the movies without their parents anyway, and I don't know any parent who wouldn't let their 6-year-old see TRANSFORMERS2 just because of the rating.
This was the first 2+ hours movie that I have watched without checking my watch at some point in the middle. Yes, there is talking, there is dialogue, but its not boring 'cause its all fairly important to the plot.

The action is good, its fast, its dramatic, and its big. This was expected. It was delivered.

However, I disagree with Saint_Michael's opinion on the roommate, Sam's mom, and Megan Fox. These characters are in place to provide a measure of comic relief. Without them, the movie is just robots beating each other up, and although this is cool, it very quickly becomes numbing if there is nothing to release the pressure at least once in a while. As for Megan, her job in this movie is to be hot, and I don't really see how it was overdone. Don't tell me you didn't laugh at the Wheelie scene. (Okay, fine, you can tell me that, but I probably won't believe you.)

Overall, I thought it was a great film. I didn't expect anything from it, and I had a good time, which is all that's important, really. I wasn't bothered by any of the things mentioned in the OP, but then again I'm 18 and male, which puts me pretty squarely in the middle of the target demographic.

Don't get me wrong That bike scene was hot and stuff, and me begin a dude I was oh lala and all that stuff. I think that is the thing, I took this movie to be more serious tone and sure the comedy had its moments its stuff, but I think the movie was looking to be more serious, especially the last hour of it and what not.

first off let me comment on eberts "review". that was a load of crap. i couldnt even read half of it, because I knew he didnt understand a damn thing about the movie. it was just a completely mindless review. one of the things i'd like to touch on that others have talked about and was also mentioned in ebert's review, is the speech of the autobots in particular. many don't know why they have the accents they do, but im pretty sure it was touched on in the first movie that they analyzed the behavior of humans and took their speech from the web and what not which is why they have the accents they do. dont quote me on it but im pretty sure thats how it breaks down. as for the movie itself i was thouroughly entertained. i never knew that 2.5 hours could go by so fast. even when it was "slow" it still wasnt that bad as they added some comedic relief in these portions. the action was awesome. some of the better fighting scenes i've seen in a movie. wish some more time was spent with even newer autobots as it seemed the main ones this time were skids and mudflap. would've been nice to see mor about arcee and some of the others you see in the beginning. i agree with you saint about the use of John Turturros character usage. he was kind of an *bottom* in the first movie, but brought a great personality the second time around. i was always laughing at something when he was involved.overall, a great movie. if you loved the first one, i dont see why you wouldnt love this one as well

Roger Ebert biased?Movie Review - Transformers: Revenge Of The Fallen

Hold on a minute--"your bias to this movie franchise is unneeded and pointless as the box office will prove you oh so wrong"

1. Roger Ebert isn't biased against the franchise in any way. Simple, unjustified ignorance. He gave the first movie a GOOD review, for crying out loud.

2. The box office defense? People go to the movies that get hyped by the studios. It has nothing to do with how good the movie is.

I haven't even seen the movie, and I'm not reviewing it. I'm just pointing out BS in your assessment of Ebert's review.

-reply by John

Well this is special movie :) I watched it a while ago, watching though the other parts too :)
Here is what happens in the movie for those who don't know. My suggestion is to go and buy it :) It's great movie

It is revealed that thousands of years ago there was a race of ancient Transformers who scoured the universe looking for energon sources. Known as the Dynasty of Primes, they used machines called Sun Harvesters to drain stars of their energy in order to convert it to energon and power Cybertron's AllSpark. The Primes agreed that life-bearing worlds would be spared, but in 17,000 BC, one brother, thereafter dubbed "The Fallen", constructed a Sun Harvester on Earth. The remaining brothers thus sacrificed their bodies in order to hide the Matrix of Leadership the key that activates the Sun Harvester from The Fallen, who swore to seek revenge upon Earth.
In the present day, two years after the events of the previous film, Optimus Prime is seen leading NEST, a military organization consisting of human troops and his own team of Autobots (including newcomers Arcee, Chromia, Elita One, Sideswipe, Jolt, and the twins Skids and Mudflap) aimed at killing the remaining Decepticons on Earth. While on a mission in Shanghai, Optimus and his team destroy Decepticons Sideways and Demolishor, being given a warning by the latter that "The Fallen will rise again". Back in the United States, Sam Witwicky (Shia LeBeouf) finds a splinter of the destroyed AllSpark, and upon contact the splinter fills his mind with Cybertronian symbols. Deeming it dangerous, Sam gives the AllSpark splinter to his girlfriend Mikaela Banes (Megan Fox) for safe keeping, and leaves her and Bumblebee behind to go off to college taken by his father (Kevin Dunn) and mother (Alice White) after their home was destroyed by some small decepticons created by the splinter. Upon arrival, Sam meets his college roommate Leo Spitz (Ramon Rodriguez), who runs an alien conspiracy website, and Alice (Isabel Lucas), a co-ed who makes sexual advances on him. Everything is chaotic, and Sam's mother gets high on some "special brownies". Back home, Decepticon Wheelie tries to steal the shard, only to be captured by Mikaela.

Decepticon Soundwave hacks into a US satellite and learns the locations of the dead Decepticon leader Megatron and another piece of the AllSpark. The Presidential advisor Gallaway (John Benjamin Hickey) suggests that the Decepticons are on Earth only to hunt down some Primes, so it'd be better for humans if all Primes left, and he says that the President of the USA is thinking about taking out their asylum. Sergeant Epps (Tyrese Gibson) defends the Primes. What if they leave and Decepticons still attack the Earth?, but the advisor tells him to shut up.

The Decepticons retrieve the shard and use it to resurrect Megatron, who flies into space and is reunited with Starscream and his master, The Fallen in the Nemesis. The Fallen instructs Megatron and Starscream to capture Sam in order to discover the location of the Matrix of Leadership.

After having a mental "incident" when he starts uncontrollably writing in Cybertronian language at a party,Sam continues acting strange including putting Professor Colan (Rainn Wilson) to shame in the middle of a lesson. In a panic, Sam calls Mikaela, who immediately leaves to get to him.

With Sam's outbreaks worsening, Mikaela arrives at campus just as Alice is revealed to be a Decepticon Pretender attacks Sam. An irate Mikaela -who caught Sam kissing Alice on a bed-, Sam, and his roommate Leo drive off, destroying Alice, but are seized by the Decepticon Grindor.

The Decepticon known as "The Doctor" prepares to remove Sam's brain, but Optimus and Bumblebee turn up and rescue him. In an ensuing fight, Optimus engages Megatron, Grindor and Starscream. Optimus manages to kill Grindor and rip off Starscream's arm, but during a momentary distraction while searching for Sam, he is blindsided then impaled and blasted through the chest by Megatron and dies. Megatron and Starscream depart as the Autobot team arrives to rescue Sam, unable to save Optimus.

After Prime's death, The Fallen is freed from his captivity and Megatron orders a full-scale assault on the planet. The Fallen speaks to the world and demands they surrender Sam to the Decepticons or they will continue their attack. Sam, Mikaela, Leo, Bumblebee, the twins and Wheelie regroup, and Leo suggests his online rival "Robo-Warrior" may be of assistance. "Robo-Warrior" is revealed to be former Sector 7 agent Simmons (John Turturro), who informs the group that the symbols should be readable for a Decepticon. Mikaela then releases Wheelie, who can't read the language, but identifying it as that of the Primes, directs the group to a Decepticon seeker named Jetfire.

They then find Jetfire at the F. Udvar-Hazy Center and reactivate him via the shard of the AllSpark. After teleporting the group to Egypt, Jetfire explains that only a Prime can kill The Fallen, and translates the symbols, which contain a riddle that sets the location of the Matrix of Leadership somewhere in the surrounding desert. By following the clues, the group arrive at the tomb where they ultimately find the Matrix, but it crumbles to dust in Sam's hands. Believing the Matrix can still revive Optimus, Sam collects the dust and instructs Simmons to call Major William Lennox (Josh Duhamel) to bring the other Autobots and Optimus's body.

The military arrives with the Autobots, but so do the Decepticons, and a battle ensues. During the fight, Decepticon Devastator is formed and unearths the Sun Harvester from inside one of the pyramids before being destroyed by the US military with the help of agent Simmons. Jetfire arrives and destroys Mixmaster, but is mortally wounded by Scorponok. The Air Force bombs the Decepticons, but Megatron breaks through the offensive and kills Sam. While dead, Sam is contacted by the Dynasty of the Primes who, acknowledging his courage and dedication to Optimus, revive him and rebuild the Matrix of Leadership. Sam goes on to revive Optimus just in time before the Fallen ambushed him and his allies, slaughtering a few soldiers and takes off with the Matrix to activate the harvester. Jetfire sacrifices himself to have Optimus use his parts to fly to the harvester and successfully destroys it. Then Optimus engages the Fallen in the ruins and kills him by punching through the chest and ripping his spark out. Although the battle was over, Megatron refuses to surrender by fleeing back to the Nemesis with Starscream.

The film ends with Optimus, who is alongside Sam on an aircraft carrier, sending a message into space saying that the humans and Transformers both share a common past. During the credits, Sam is seen returning to college.

Edited by moderator
copied material must be under quote tags (see edit history)