xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
The Simpleton

Are Non-english Sites Allowed On My Site?

I am very near to getting the amount needed to buy a domain and hosting (really excited) and I got a doubt very soon - are non-English sites allowed to be hosted? I want to put up two versions of my site - one in English and the other in my mother-tongue Telugu although it may take time for the Telugu version to be ready. But when it is ready, is it allowed? The answer is very important because it will decide the name of my domain! :( That may sound crazy but that is the fact. So could someone please clarify this so that I can start brainstormin?

Thanks that was a pretty fast reply - I think it is for the free hosting service that non-English websites aren't allowed (I read this on a review of Xisto on another site)Anyway I guess it will take a long time for me to get my Telugu site up - I still have to figure out the fonts and everything. From what I've seen it's really a long and boring process that may not end up working well :(

The Terms of Service says they have to be in English. You can have the website in a different language so long as you provide an English translation.

Well as I said above, I plan to have the site in two versions - the English version will obviously be ready faster and I'll simply translate that into Telugu later. and clearly point out that there is an English translation available. I hope that is enough? :(

The Terms of Service says they have to be in English. You can have the website in a different language so long as you provide an English translation.

REALLY?! I asked this some time ago in shoutbox and someone said it's okay? omg

My domain name is in Finnish, if I provide an english translation, it wouldn't match the domain name... Is it that strict? if so... :( then I'll register another domain and make a multilang version on that.

My domain name is in Finnish, if I provide an english translation, it wouldn't match the domain name...

As far as i understand the TOS, it does not apply to the domain name, just the website.

As far as i understand the TOS, it does not apply to the domain name, just the website.

I know, but the domain name!!! I'm not talking about the TOS here, the domain name I chose doesn't make any sense in English, so it would sound really weird and unprofessional. Forexample if you have a website offering tutorials and tips, but the name is like "kldshfiuodhgkjhihs.com"(note, not my actual domain name if you didn't notice :(). That's my problem. I submitted a support ticket asking the staff if I could solve the problem with an addon domain on the same hosting pack. Haven't got an answer yet...

I know, but the domain name!!! I'm not talking about the TOS here, the domain name I chose doesn't make any sense in English, so it would sound really weird and unprofessional. Forexample if you have a website offering tutorials and tips, but the name is like "kldshfiuodhgkjhihs.com"(note, not my actual domain name if you didn't notice :(). That's my problem. I submitted a support ticket asking the staff if I could solve the problem with an addon domain on the same hosting pack. Haven't got an answer yet...

Right, but i wouldn't see that as a problem, since your site (unless i'm mistaken) is geared towards those who understand Finnish. But if we were to use as an example websites who use a domain name that doesn't describe their website that are in English, like Xisto.com (:angel:), you would see no problem either. An add-on is, i would say, unnecessary.

I got an answer from xisto saying that I can use an addon domain or I can buy a new domain with new hosting.

Well, the finnish version's domain name is kinda catchy :angel: I thought I would name the new domain "wackweb.com", but that's taken :(

If anybody has any suggestions of what domain name I could use, please pm me

Edited by Baniboy (see edit history)

Wow this discussion sure spiraled a lot towards another topic :(

Anyway I will provide a translation, but does that translation need to be public? This is another deciding factor for my webpage design, so could someone please clarify this one?

Anyway I will provide a translation, but does that translation need to be public?

I don't think it can be called a translation if it is not public. But according to the TOS, an English version is required to ease the process of figuring out if your website is doing something illegal or not. For that reason, i don't think those that work for Xisto would take the time to search through all your files just to see if it's in English; that is, i would just expect them to visit the site, and if it isn't in English, declare it as not complying with the TOS.