xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
The Simpleton

Which Is Your Favourite Linux Distro?

Favourite Linux Distribution  

12 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I know there are a lot of Linux fans (and users) over here. Some of you, like me, stick to only one distribution, while others like to experiment with different distros. But maybe all of us have an idea about most of the popular distributions available today. What is it, according to you?

Out of the 4 you mentioned, I've tried every single one except for Knoppix. Havent had the time or chance to test it out. I like to experiment due to the fact that you gotta be open minded that there is life outside of Windows. (Yes Microsoft, there is other people in the world besides you)Ubuntu is great. No need to find drivers since they find it for you and your already on the internet and running smoothly. While I didnt get a chance to be playing any games on it. The simpliciy of running it and getting it to run is quick. Fedora & Mandriva are similar to me but Mandriva for me, had a problem running firefox for some odd reason? Fedora has some great graphic features but doesnt compare to Ubuntu's exploding window or snowing (christmas theme) coming down on your screen.Sorry if this seem like a one-sided argument. I played with Ubuntu longer then the others. (Maybe because its the free stickers you get when you request them to send you a CD)

To date, my favorite Linux OS is my first (who doesn't love their first of anything, right? :angel:)Redhat 9 (which has since evolved into Fedora) holds a very dear, permanent space in my heart. I even proudly stuck a sticker on my car and it literally weathered the odds from one end of the country to the other, while I got the "traveling bug" out of my system (this was before I had my daughter, of course). Unfortunately, the last time I had my car maintenanced, all of my old stickers were cleaned off as well. But it wasn't very recognizeable by then, anyway! :(

Edited by Fractured.Logic (see edit history)

I noticed that there were five votes for "Ubuntu", which was expected, but the rest of the votes were for "Other" - so are there any suggestions for adding distros to the list?

so are there any suggestions for adding distros to the list?

I had voted null because the list had radio buttons instead of check boxes. I can understand the reasoning behind picking radio buttons instead check boxes, for how can you have two favorites? But what if someone doesn't necessarily have a favorite but at the same time favor more than one equally or that the advantages and disadvantages of each pretty much make them equal to each other? As for others, i would expect at least Gentoo, Linux Mint and maybe Mepis to be added and to specify more explicitly that "Ubuntu" also stands for its other flavors.

I still stick with Fedora. Ubuntu is appealing but couldnt get most of my 3d and digital compositing software to work smoothly. Fedora have better support in most of the software i used. Starting using it since Redhat 8 and later switched to FC 2 and now downloading FC10.

I like Fedora a lot. It's full featured and tends to have a bunch of newer stuff. Admittedly it's risky and not always stable, but it is usually one of the first major distros to get a package, and that tends to bring both new features and bug fixes. I probably shouldn't be relying on it for mission critical applications though, since it can break, and I had two weeks when I couldn't get sound in headphones because of a kernel issue. Thing is, when something breaks, the forum is quite helpful and there is usually someone who knows what's happening.I used Ubuntu before and it's nice too. They have the biggest user base of the major distros, and so they have possibly the best unofficial support turnaround. A regular problem could be answered in minutes, and even obscure issues usually eventually get found by someone else in a similar spot. It's great to have such a large number of people along with you in your journey.

i've tried out a bunch of lesser known distros thanks to distrowatch. however i always seem to come back to Ubuntu. its familiar to me, and the community support is just awesome. time and time again when i've had an issue (dell laptops tend to have things that dont work right) be it the forums there or their IRC channel have been able to help me out and get things working again.i usually set up some VMs to tinker with other OSs while in Ubuntu so i get a feel of different flavors. but nothing has really stuck for me yet.

Hi!I seem to have developed a liking for Ubuntu recently. It's simple to use and gives you just what you need. I had the opportunity to try out the server edition on an HP blade server and it ran perfectly well, though the default installation of the server edition doesn't give you a GUI (who needs a GUI on a server anyway? :-P ).The first Linux distro that I've tried was a floppy-based embedded system... Greycat Linux. I used it on my ancient AST 386 laptop. I barely used it for about 5 minutes so I guess that doesn't really count. I then got hooked up with RedHat Linux 7 so the natural progression was to Fedora Core. However, I didn't use Linux for about 2 years and when I was back on the scene, Ubuntu was supposed to be the coolest and greatest thing around. I'd still choose Fedora Core if I had a second system though.I noticed recently that the Fedora Core distribution is marked as a desktop edition. I always used Fedora to run on the servers as the package installer would give me a selection of items (alternatives) to select from.Back in the day, we had the ability to run Linux using the LoadLin utility so didn't have to install the bootloader. I'd just restart in MS DOS mode and there I was, running Linux.I used Mandriva (and Mandrake) as a RedHat alternative and while it was good, it always turned out that when I was looking for a Linux distro, there was a newer RedHat distro available.Knoppix linux was my favorite for a while. My laptop's hard disk had died and before I could go out and get a new one, I decided to try a live CD that actually provided a GUI (unlike the rescue CDs). It was pretty amazing and I really liked the ability to host a network-boot (NetBT) Linux distro on one computer while all the others just ran off the system... it saved on CDs when I wanted to share it with buddies on a LAN.I would like to mention Turbo Linux, a distro that I really liked for the mod that auto-corrected mis-typed spellings on a terminal window. It also supported my Connexant modem out-of-the-box, which none of the other distro of the time were able to do. It runs on my old Thinkpad 600E (as does Knoppix) while most other distros crash or hang on startup for some reason (I think I need a BIOS update). I got a chance to try it when they provided a CD with the ThinkCenter PC I was using temporarily.Regards,Nitin Reddy

I used to be using Gentoo for a long time, then Arch Linux, but now when booting into OpenSUSE I really think that for me it's the best distribution of Linux, it suits my needs just fine, but for most of people I just offer Ubuntu or also SUSE, because it's very easy to use them. :(

Edited by Quatrux (see edit history)