xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
rob86

The Classic Canadian Poutine Clogging your arteries made simple

Here's a recipe and some tips for a classic poutine. It's an extremely common food where I come from. It might scare some of you away with it's horrific amount of calories. In high school this was a staple in the cafeteria and I remember eating it almost every day for lunch (can you imagine??)

The Great Canadian Poutine

Posted Image

This dish originated in Quebec, but it's very popular in N.B. - trust me on that!

A poutine generally consists of a few basic ingredients.

French Fries (Chips)

Cheese Curds

Gravy

While people have strong opinions on the specifics of what a poutine should be like, you can make it how you want it using those ingredients. I'd say it's preferred to use medium cut fries, made from fresh unpeeled new potatoes from the garden, but any type of frozen french fries with work, and in fact many fast food places use thin shoe string cut fries, or even large steak cut fries.

Cheddar cheese curds are the preferred type of cheese, but like anything, you can use whatever you have. Grated cheddar or mozerella cheese tastes fine. Sometimes they use garlic cheese curds.

Gravy from what I've tasted is typically chicken with a little bit of spiciness. You can use whatever you want, beef or chicken, a can of gravy, leftovers from your thanksgiving turkey, it all tastes pretty good.

Depending on the gravy, I often sprinkle some chili pepper flakes on top. This is not common I don't think, but I like it.

The Directions:

You just deep fry the french fries, put them on a plate when done, put cheese on top, pour gravy over and enjoy.

You can oven cook them too, but it's not quite the same as you'd expect.

FRENCH FRY TIP:

I've deep fried a lot of french fries freshly cut from new potatoes, and you should wait until they are browning up in the oil before removing. They will deceive the newbie by becoming crisp but not brown, when you remove them, they will go soggy. This doesn't apply to frozen fries, since they're a completely different beast.

And there you have it, The Poutine. Simple, not fancy by any means, but very comforting.