xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
sheepdog

Neat Twist On Potato Soup

Despite the fact that I have an entire large book shelf completely coverd with cookbooks, I'm one of those people who just generally puts a pot on the stove and then start throwing things in it. I often find our refrigerator full of little tid bits of this and that, not enough of any one thing to make a meal out of, so I sometimes have to get creative. That is how I accidentally came across a great potatoe soup. We had just a partial head of califlower leftover, so I decided to toss it in the potatoe soup, along with lots of other vegtables. While most people will add celery and onions to potatoe soup, the pot I made with the califlower was the best tasting pot of potatoe soup I had ever made. Ever since then I won't even make potatoe soup with out califlower. Try it sometime, it adds a very nice extra flavor to your soup.

Where I come from we eat potatoes ALL the time, strangely enough I've never made potato soup. What else do you put in a potato soup?

Start out with milk and add potatoes, onions and celery. That works good for a base, and then you can start to add whatever you have available, You can make it good and hearty by adding virtually any type of meat, ham is good, those little smokie sausages, even sliced pepperoni is good. You can pretty much add any type of vegtables you like, carrots, peppers, green beans, anything that strikes your fancy. For seasonings, I use some tumeric to give it a nice yellow color, plenty of salt, as potatoes tend to absorb salt, garlic, pepper, curry powder if you like it, just whatever your favorite seasonings are. If you are not so worried about fat, a couple tablespoons of butter sure don't hurt it and add nicely to the rich hearty flavor. Only trick is to stir frequently, the milk likes to stick. you can help that a little by diluting your milk with a bit of water, if you want.

That sounds like a delicious soup and I think I'll make it some time soon. Sounds like a pretty flexible soup which is good as I often just throw in things that I have available. I'll bet it is exceptionally tasty using fresh out of the garden vegetables. I can't wait to try it. Yum! If you have any more recipes or meal ideas feel free to post. One thing I really love... is food.

Cauliflower in potato soup... ingenious! I always eat half a head of cauliflower and then can never figure out what to do with the rest. I'm the only one in my family and of my friends who eats cauliflower, so I never have anyone to share with - and a whole head is a lot for just me to eat in the 4-5 days before it goes bad.I think it was in a South Beach Diet cookbook... I remember my sister once tried to show me a recipe for "mashed potatoes" made out of cauliflower as a low carb alternative. It sounded gross to me at the time, and I scoffed at the idea of "low carb," but if cauliflower is good in potato soup, who knows, maybe its good in mashed potatoes, too. I don't think I could ever go so far as to leave out the potatoes completely, but I guess I won't know until I try.Now all I need is cooler weather so that I can try this out! (something about potato soup when its 90 degrees and humid just isn't appealing)

I don't mean to sound cliched,but the Irish in memeans that I love potatoes and never get sick of them.From what I gather too,one could live off of nothing but potatoes and bananas.Potatoes contain all your necessary vitamins,except for vitamin b,which can be found in bananas.