xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
The Simpleton

Anyone Following The T20 World Cup Here?

There are so many threads about soccer and every other kind of sports here, very less cricket fans eh? :(So is anyone following the ongoing T20 world cup in England? I'm rooting for my home country India of course. Too bad Australia were knocked out - they would have brought in some excitement in the tournament. In this short format it will be very difficult to predict who will be the winner, seeing that England lost to a weak team in the very first game of the tournament!

Yeah I've been watching! All I can say for Australia is "HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA". There Captain Ricky Ponting told the media "It would be a disaster if we went out. We would have to spend 10 days in Leicster before the start of the Ashes!" The next day Australia get knocked out.Queue a bad Sun headline "10 G'days out in Leicster". Ah poor Aus.

Hi!@dangerdan: I guess Ricky jinxed it by saying that. :-)Right now, Ireland is chasing New Zealand's score of 198 runs. England is playing against South Africa later today. Any predictions? I'm guessing South Africa might beat England today, but let's see how it goes.Regards,Nitin

It's hard to predict the outcome of this super eight stage, isn't it? And Ireland is going the same way as it did in the main World Cup - it reached the super eight stage there too but after that nothing went right for them.Instead of trying to predict the outcome of today's match, how about trying to predict the semifinal teams? My teams are India, South Africa, West Indies and good ol' Pakistan....who knows the final may be a repeat performance of the last world cup! :(

20-20 cricket is always unpredictable... A single over can change the entire match situation... We can't predict any match. IPL proved that again. Some part time bowlers in IPL suddenly turned matches. India is in a very tough group in super 8. Lets wait and see how it performs. Not an easy walk for India this year. It is very sad that Australia knocked out in the first round. They are always out of luck in 20-20 cricket. Lets wait and see what miracles will happen in this tough super 8 round. :(

ha ha the twist is excellent - the defending champs have crashed out and last year's runners-up have managed to reach the finals again!well I always seemed to know that something like this would happen....just didn't want it to come true...Now there's nothing left in the tourny for me so all that remains to be seen is the result of the final - not interested in watching the match :(

I already expected the result that India will leave from super 8 after India lost its game to West Indies... Though different players are telling different reasons for our early exit, definitely one of the main reason is our team's over confidence..which exit from the super 8. Our team believed that they were the champions and no team could beat them. Our batting style and fielding style clearly indicated that in the 3 super 8 matches...They think that they could chase any target... regardless of their batting efforts... They didn't opened well, failed in the middle overs and still believed that they could chase it in the slag overs... that negligence and over confidence continued till the last over and finally lost that game... with 3 runs to England. Did they changed after that? and realized the real competition? No... they continued their worst attitude...and lost the last match to South Africa which is a very strong team in all 3 parts..batting, bowling and fielding. Everyone knows that in this very limited over game extras could change the result of the match...but our team had lot of over-confidence on our batting order and never cared about the extras... which showed the real difference in England's match... All over..a big defeat for the defending champions..Coming to the other games.. I really disappointed with South Africa's exit in semis... luck turned against them once again... Finally Pak and Srilanka entered into the finals... so a sub continent team will have the cup once again... SriLanka is the title favorite for being strong in batting, bowling and fielding...the only team which can chase any target and defend any low score....But who knows..anything can happen in 20-20.... lets see.. :(

well the Indian team is used to such things - win one, lose another and win again! Some said the IPL benefited the team while others said it burnt them out. None of them might be right but you can't rule out that the team wasn't playing at its best this time. The fans back home are pretty predictable too, aren't they? Burn houses now, build them later! :(

Yes..you are right... our team habituated to those things... and other reason is media... the media is raising the expectations of the fans with their over calculative analysis... they are analyzing solely based on the previous performances..forgetting about their fitness and present form... and people reading and watching these useless analysis' and raising their own expectaions. And most commonly.. everyone knows that our team will fail in every event where the expectations are high..and as usual the fans will burn their houses or statues... thats very common in our country... :angel:I don't agree with this IPL issue.. because all other counties had fully played in IPL (except Aussies, Pak. but Aussies failed in World Cup as well) and the key players in IPL from other countries had played good role for their countries in World cup. For example take Sri Lanka... almost all important players played very well in IPL and they are continuing their form very well in T20 world cup... so..IPL is no issue to deal with.. Our teams worst play is the reason for failure in T20 WC.. not other reasons in my opinion. :(

Oh don't get me started about the media! Cricket fans, desperate for some fresh news, suck up everything that the media throws at them, and then wait for some miracle to happen. Our media can convince the world that Ireland can win the 50 over world cup! :angel: (no offense)And our team members become pampered by the ads, getting more than what they asked for, and so they take everything that way and this is the result. Now people like you and me are making angry comments like these, and when they win again most of us will forget the past and when they lose again..... :(It's high time the team attained some stability in their game and give the fans something to do at a stretch, and not a roller-coaster ride like now!

Oh don't get me started about the media! Cricket fans, desperate for some fresh news, suck up everything that the media throws at them, and then wait for some miracle to happen. Our media can convince the world that Ireland can win the 50 over world cup! :angel: (no offense)

Yes, media has that much capability to turn things up... and you are right about the ads.. being youngsters...our players concentration is on media and ads..they want to be in news for whatever reason... No one objects them if they play well.. but they should give first preference to the game.. everyone needs dedication..

Now people like you and me are making angry comments like these, and when they win again most of us will forget the past and when they lose again..... :(

Hmm...some what right, because fans always want our team should win. And when the expectations are high, you could imagine their anger. Our team is playing for our country... and if they failed in that, it means they failed our country. So their anger is some what understandable.. We don't want individual performances, we want team play.

But unfortunately.. our fans are making a mistake here. When some one played well, they are making him a star. Then, they are expecting a lot from him. To keep their expectations that star player stops playing his natural game and tries to keep his stardom and average. Finally.. a team sport became an individual performance.

You know the quote, Talent wins games, but teamwork wins championships.

It's high time the team attained some stability in their game and give the fans something to do at a stretch, and not a roller-coaster ride like now!

That won't happen in the near future... I think that type of performance(roller-coaster ride) is in our blood.

It's in our blood, yes that is true...well I think we've discussed our team's luck for too long...this thread is supposed to be about the world cup not about the Indian cricket team! :(So the final is between Pakistan and Sri Lanka...and naturally, Pakistan is the favourite coz it was the runner-up last time. But this is 20-20 so the last ball of the last over can change the result, as it happened in the last world cup. Once again the papers and the news channels will be full of predictions over who will win, but I think the best thing to do now is to be quiet and wait for the result!

Well I think we've discussed our team's luck for too long...this thread is supposed to be about the world cup not about the Indian cricket team! :excl:

Well, nothing goes wrong as far as we discuss something interesting, and Indian team is also part in this world cup right? so discussing about India is also part of this discussion? :(

So the final is between Pakistan and Sri Lanka...and naturally, Pakistan is the favourite coz it was the runner-up last time.

Oh..come on... You are analyzing like our news news papers do..solely based on previous years result. :angel: Take the present form of both the teams, SriLanka is surely ahead of Pak in all 3 parts.. The plus points for Pakistan is their bowling and for Srilanka is their Team Play...but you are right about T20..its completely unpredictable..
A single over can change the entire result of the match.. Thats why its a lucky game more than talent game.

Well I only said they were favourites but not that they're gonna win for sure! :(So anyway today's the day of the "big" game and we will all have a little peace after this one is over...not many big tournaments for India, and there aren't many Ashes fans in the country anyway...