xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
The Simpleton

Ubuntu 9.04 Frequent Internet Problem

Right before I started this topic, I noticed that another member had posted a problem with Ubuntu 9.04 too! Is it a mere coincidence or is there a serious problem with this new version? :XD:

Anyway, coming to the problem , I upgraded to version 9.04 just yesterday and set up my internet connection following the same procedure I had used for the previous versions. But now I have noticed two problems:

Problem 1. When I tried creating a launcher having the command

pon dsl-provider

it wouldn't work. When I tried typing the command in the terminal, I got an error which goes something like this:

only users of the "dip" group may use pon

So I went to "Users and Groups" and not finding a group named "dip" there I created the group and added my user name to it. But the command still wouldn't work. Then I tried using

sudo pon dsl-provider

and the connection worked. But now I have to type this out each time, because the launcher wouldn't accept "sudo" directly, would it?

To make things short, how can I go back to directly using the "pon dsl-provider" command again?

Problem 2. When I do manage to get onto the net, I find that within 2 minutes, it automatically gets disconnected! :) What's worse, no variety of commands will get it connected till I restart the system. Any solution for this one?

Thanks for reading :lol: I hope to get some answers soon...

What's "pon" and why do you need to use it to connect to the internet?By the way, if you create a bash script that has the command "pon dsl-provider" in it in the directory /etc/init.d/ and at it to a run level that loads while booting the system, then you wouldn't need root privileges, that is, you wouldn't need to use sudo. Or at least in theory this should work.

well it isn't working in practice :lol:well I don't have that much Linux knowledge to explain what "pon" is, but all I know is that during all the ten months that I have used Ubuntu, I used the command to connect to the internet, and haven't had a problem with it till now. I didn't have to use sudo back then...

well it isn't working in practice :(

Which run level(s) did put the script to run on? Run levels 3 and 5 are the only ones i know of that support networking.

well I don't have that much Linux knowledge to explain what "pon" is, but all I know is that during all the ten months that I have used Ubuntu, I used the command to connect to the internet, and haven't had a problem with it till now.

Try installing gpppon (or any other similar frontend) in the meantime to see if this reduces inconveniences. If it is possible to use DHCP instead of what you are currently using, then try connecting using DHCP.

Right before I started this topic, I noticed that another member had posted a problem with Ubuntu 9.04 too! Is it a mere coincidence or is there a serious problem with this new version? :(

Hi!

@kasperooney

I'm pretty sure you saw my post about Ubuntu 9.04. While running the update, the apt was unable to pick up a few printing-related updates which isn't really a biggie. It's a 404 error and we see it on the web all the time as broken links. In the reply I got to my forum post, there's a link to the actual file to download and install, in case you run into the same issue.

I haven't had a chance to try it out yet as I've installed Ubuntu on my work laptop and I'm at home right now using my home laptop.

Cheers

Well I configured the connection to be triggered automatically at boot time and this has worked beautifully! :angel:It doesn't get disconnected in this way so that's a huge relief for me. Thank you all for helping me out. I really appreciate it :(And as for Ubuntu 9.04, it hasn't given me any other problem for now and it's running superbly. In fact, I think it's the most slick version of Ubuntu so far...

hello every body.

I am unable to download ubuntu software packeges from internet and I can access other information from the internet but unable to update softwares packages for ubuntu 9.04.

it says "W: Failed to fetch http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/; Could not connect to bw.Archive.Ubuntu.Com:80 (155.232.191.229). - connect (111 Connection refused)"

how can I solve this problem.10qs a lot for your help.

I have always had problems with my internet connection on my 9.04 ubuntu. and as of today it has been of the internet for almost a year now. I wish to upgrade but I need to update first. And before updating I need the internet to work on the dang thing. I type "route" into the terminal and here is what it pulls up,...

kernal routing table

destination  |  gateway  |  genmask   |  flag  |  metric  |  ref  |  use  |  iface

10.42.43.0 | * |  225.225.225.0 |  u | 1 | 0 | 0 | eth0

link local | *   |  225.225.0.0   |  u   |  1000  |   0   | 0 | eth0

what should I do?

-question by Robert