xisto Community
The Simpleton

Is There A Screening Process For Buying Domains Now?

I've just joined the forum today and from what I've seen so far, I've understood that before the myCENT system, there used to be a credit system over here, and that the members had to place a request in the appropriate forum for buying a domain or for hosting. I've also seen from some posts that there's a screening process involved for getting the free domains. I've also seen that the last request for a domain was made in the year 2008!

Well my query is, does this screening process still exist? I mean, from what I've read so far, the myCENT cents are automatically sent to the billing account, isn't it? And we use that account to buy the products. Between this, does the screening process exist? Sorry if I'm confusing you! But I hope I've got my question through.

I've just joined the forum today and from what I've seen so far, I've understood that before the myCENT system, there used to be a credit system over here, and that the members had to place a request in the appropriate forum for buying a domain or for hosting.

Correct. The myCENT system has now completely replaced the old credit system.

I've also seen from some posts that there's a screening process involved for getting the free domains. I've also seen that the last request for a domain was made in the year 2008!

Under the new myCENT system, you don't need to make a post to request a domain or hosting, hence why the last post was in 2008. The whole process is now controlled at the billing website: https://support.xisto.com/

Well my query is, does this screening process still exist? I mean, from what I've read so far, the myCENT cents are automatically sent to the billing account, isn't it? And we use that account to buy the products. Between this, does the screening process exist? Sorry if I'm confusing you! But I hope I've got my question through.

Your myCENTs are sent straight to your billing account when you earn a whole dollar (ie. individual cents aren't transferred until they make up 100). From there you buy your domain or hosting, and choose to pay with myCENTs at the end of the process. The amount is then deducted from the myCENTs you have earned. I believe there is still a screening process in place (your posts are checked to make sure you don't post thousands of spam posts, earn loads of myCENTs for effectively nothing, and then try to spend them) but not like there was before, and it requires no action on your part. It does introduce a delay of a couple of days between placing an order for a domain and it actually being created for you, so bear this in mind.

It does introduce a delay of a couple of days between placing an order for a domain and it actually being created for you, so bear this in mind.

Ya that makes sense :lol: It sure must be tough checking into so many members' posts. I have a small question which I'm sure has been answered somewhere, but this forum is really so large!

Well my question is, how are the myCENTs' values decided? I read in a help file that a post can get us upto a dollar or more. I'm guessing the length of the post decides this. Any idea on how big the post should be to earn a dollar? I understand that the post should be sensible and not useless :XD:

May be an essay or tutorial with around * (I read the rules, sorry) words may earn you a dollar. I don't know, I am just guessing. But this is a nice system of earning for posts. And some very talented, geniuses here. And also this the cleanest forum I have ever seen with general discussions apart from tech related subjects.

Edited by BCD (see edit history)

The myCENTS system is truly an improvement to the old system. I joined Xisto when they were in the process of switching to the myCENTS system so as you could imagine, it took a little while for me to get my hosting. But if you do so now, you should be able to get hosting faster. Now the support team is faster, too.

And yes, tutorials and essays can give you a decent amount of myCENTS. But remember, you are here to contribute and the myCENTS is your reward. Earning myCENTS is a privilage and if you abuse the system your hosting can easily be taken away.

Also, when you register at https://support.xisto.com/ be sure to use the same email and password as you have with your forum account. Your myCENTS will be converted to 1 USD (US Dollar) each time you reach 100.00 myCENTS, and they will be stored at your account at https://support.xisto.com/

I would place the order when you have enough money in your account first. The basic hosting is the logic plan, which is $1.95 a month. If you're looking for domains, though, it depends on which extention you want, ex) .com, .net, .org, etc.

But anyways, welcome to the Xisto community and I wish you luck on earning those myCENTS and spending them towards your hosting and domain =]

Well my question is, how are the myCENTs' values decided? I read in a help file that a post can get us upto a dollar or more. I'm guessing the length of the post decides this. Any idea on how big the post should be to earn a dollar? I understand that the post should be sensible and not useless :angel:

The values are decided on the content and quality of the post by a script written by OpaQue. Only he knows exactly how it works, mainly to stop people exploiting it, but also to give him an air of mystery :( Generally, writing a longer post with good structure, correct use of punctuation, BBCodes and that sort of thing will earn you more than a short post written in a trashy style.

Also, there are some forums that don't earn myCENTs (marked as having no post count) where, obviously, you don't earn myCENTs for your posts.

Oh thanks for clarifying that...this mystery thing is really interesting... :( But I somehow feel it's time to give some kind of idea to the users about this system. I mean, I know that the quality matters, but still a lot of new users could still get doubts as to how this actually works, so that they could work on improving their posts suitably. Just asking them to improve their post quality may not make complete sense for some members :angel: Some may still be looking for the magic one-dollar post!Anyway thanks for clarifying my doubt. All Clear!