xisto Community
k_nitin_r

Are Triangles Really Easier To Touch-click On?

David Baker, the inventor of the crocodile keyboard (an on-screen keyboard with triangular keys), claims that it is easier to type on a keyboard when the keys are triangular because there's more dead space between the keys, making you less likely to mis-type and use the backspace key. David aims to license the idea to Apple to include it as a part of the iPhone package but, in the meantime, hopes to create an application available on the App-Store to give users a feel of the crocodile.In my opinion, making keys triangular makes them harder to press/touch too. If I missed 5 keys and had to slow down to figure out what text is missing, I'd be taking longer than replacing just one character.What do you think about David's crocodile keyboard? Is it just another gimmick or is it the invention of the decade?

Well I had no idea what you were talking about, so a link would have been helpful. Here's a link for anyone else as interested and clueless: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/06/02/crocodile_keyboard/

I think it actually sounds like a good idea. I don't understand what you mean by missing 5 keys and having to slow down to figure out what text is missing. I'm pretty sure if you missed five keys in a row you'd immediately notice you're not typing anything. As a user of the iphone though, I do mistype a lot of characters when trying to type really fast, and I have pretty nimble fingers - thanks to guitar.. Of course, the assumption with the crocodile keyboard is that the typos are coming from characters to the bottom, left, and right of the actual key. Increasing the deadspace between those keys and key you are trying to press could curb typos, but if you're always aiming high, I guess you'll keep hitting that key directly above.

The opposite side I guess would be having to hit a smaller target. If you really are just that bad at typing on a touch screen, and you're just landing flat in the middle of that deadspace, you just won't get anything. I guess you'll have to work on your aim and start nailing those keys a little better. Maybe there'll be an app for that :lol:

I think triangle keys will result in more accurate typing rather than being easier. As CopyJosh says having such keyboards can actually curb typos. The fingers need to be more alert to hit those narrow keys. But on the other hand, I wouldn't get the satisfaction of a complete fingerpress on a key. I would feel uncomfortable.

PS: Oh by the way is this idea just for iphone app or is it for physical keyboards too? What I said above was considering physical keyboards.

Edited by BCD (see edit history)

@CopyJosh: Thanks for your input. Now that you mention it, I've realised that I usually have a problem with the keys on the edges of the on-screen keyboard. I usually push "s" instead of "a", and "k" instead of "l" as the human thumb isn't really well suited to on-screen typing when they keys are so close to each other. I guess those keys ought to have more deadspace between them.@BCD: The crocodile keyboard is just an idea for on-screen keyboards, so you'll still have the complete contact with your finger tip (or the side of your thumb, if you're a thumb-typist like me). Physical keyboards feel more comfortable with the curve that they normally have to make contact with the entire finger tip, although some desktop keyboards take the idea too far making the key a miniature cave.

Triangle keys on a keyboard? That sounds pretty interesting :( And it would make a pretty picture too....think about it - after years of seeing a regular keyboard, seeing such a "triangle" keyed keyboard would be a good change!Putting aside the looks, I think the accuracy part is also justified. The "deadspace" or whatever else it is called (:angel:) does play an important role in the accuracy of typing. So lets hope we see these keyboards very sooooon.And talking about on-screen keyboards, they're okay for mobile phones, but I think they'll never come into the PC zone, would they? Everyone would have sore backs trying to type everything using an on-screen keyboard! :excl:

And talking about on-screen keyboards, they're okay for mobile phones, but I think they'll never come into the PC zone, would they? Everyone would have sore backs trying to type everything using an on-screen keyboard! :(

On-Screen keyboards already exist, and have existed for over a decade in Windows "Easy-Access" options... and on tablet PC's they are "touch keyboards" It's definitely not a common practice to resort to only using the on-screen keyboard, but I do use it on older converted servers in my home where my only I/O device is a mouse.

I think it's really just hard to say without actually trying a triangular on screen keyboard. It's cool though, I'd try it.

Hi!@Copy-Josh: I've got an old laptop that I use for hosting Apache and MySQL and some of the keys on the keyboard don't work so I use the on-screen keyboard. Then, there's a blade server at the office with a USB dongle that supports only 2 devices so when I need to use the CD ROM, I have to disconnect either the keyboard or the mouse. Sure, there are dongles with 6 ports, but the HP dealer charges ~$150 and the company won't spend that much for just a USB dongle with more ports. I might have to convince them to get a powered USB hub (as a regular USB hub doesn't seem to work) or a daisy-chaining keyboard (keyboard with a USB port extender to connect a mouse).Anyway, let's wait and see how the croc-keyboard turns out.Regards,Nitin Reddy

On-Screen keyboards already exist, and have existed for over a decade in Windows "Easy-Access" options... and on tablet PC's they are "touch keyboards" It's definitely not a common practice to resort to only using the on-screen keyboard, but I do use it on older converted servers in my home where my only I/O device is a mouse.

I was actually talking about those "touch keyboards" and not the on-screen keyboards :( Anyway, on-screen keyboards are a little slow too. Who would like to do all those clicking clicking clicking, one-letter at a time!!!

Hi!@kasperooney:What do you mean by "touch keyboards"? Do you mean something like an on-screen Windows keyboard on a Tablet PC? While in university, the instructor used those - the whiteboard was actually a soft board hooked up to a desktop PC and the projector put up the image. At the start of the session, he would calibrate the display to make sure the touch was accurately recognized. Then, he'd use the on-screen keyboard instead of walking over to the keyboard. He didn't type all that much though - pretty much everything was pre-typed and he's bring it along on a USB disk drive.Regards,Nitin Reddy

I really should make myself more clear! Yes I meant the keyboards which appear "on the screen" and you should "touch" them to get the letters onto the screen. I guess that should clear up the confusion! :(It's interesting to know that this technology is used in universities....in my college all the instructor does is switch on the projector and go to the regular keyboard everytime he wants to type anything!

As a touch screen I don't see a real problem, however, as a practical keyboard there is your problem, to even space out all 108 keys and then some would make it quite large. On top of that to be any useful you would have make some keys upside down to get rid of all that space, and so those would have be pretty small keys then. I don't think anyone would want a giant keyboard like that, especially if you make the keys big enough that such gap is possible and prevent the errors.

These days people are getting used to smaller keys with smaller gaps, with the entry of smaller laptops (netbooks!) So I guess for them typing on a giant keyboard will seem strange to them...