xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
webishqiptar

Loosing Gigbytes In Vista!

I have this problem, that my Vista eats for me 8GB this weekend. I had about 135 Gb free and now I have 127Gb suddenly. I didn't install any software or downloaded any files in the meantime. I disabled system restore points( so it is excluded). Any ideas?I am trying to download a software which checks for hidden files on my computer. I am using Vista Home Premium 64-bit with SP1.

Hi!I'd suggest you empty your recycle bin and clear the cache of your web browser.Go to Tools > Folder Options > View tab, Show hidden files and folders and look for any hidden folders. Some antivirus software moves any suspicious files to a quarantine folder.If you've got a search utility like Windows/Google Desktop search, it might be indexing the files on your computer. The index occupies a bit of space too. In addition, Windows performs some indexing of its own at the filesystem level - Right-click on your drive in My Computer and select properties. Uncheck the "Allow Indexing Service to index this disk for fast file searching".Regards

I just cleaned and got back about 4gb using Ccleaner, which emptied the browser cache. I gained only 4gb from both accounts. I made a scan with a software(forgot the name) and it said that my computer had 44.5gb unscanned areas.I don't have tools, I am using vista..it only says administrative tools..

There is a feature in Vista called SxS (Side by Side) that allows for redundant DLLs and probably other types of files to retain usability of programs. (This prevents new DLLs and system files from replacing older ones and thus possibly breaking support.) This could be another possibility as to why Vista is eating up GBs.Also, I would think that the prefetch may be another culprit, although I would not touch the prefetch as it contributes to faster performance on your machine using Vista. (The OS essentially "learns" what you use and preloads data from a prefetch file so that opening up Firefox from the first time you loaded Vista will be much faster the second, third, and future times around.)It looks like you should be all set with the amount of space you already have available anyway, so I wouldn't worry about it if it is the prefetch, the index, or SxS, as it would affect the performance of Vista.

I just found this on a thread in PC Magazine Discussions posted by BurrWalnut.

Maybe this will help you.

1. WinDirStat shows where disk space is being used including a nice graphical display. Just let the mouse pointer hover over the coloured areas to identify different file types. It wont remove anything but its a good starting point in identifying the large chunks of used space. Download it here https://windirstat.net/
2. Remove temporary files. Click the Windows Orb (Start) > Run (if the Run command is not there, go to All Programs > Accessories and then click Run), type %temp% and press Enter. All the files that show can be safely deleted, there may be a few obstinate ones that refuse to be deleted.

3. Delete any temporary files that may be left over from CD and DVD burning. Navigate to the hidden folder C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Burn\Temporary Burn Folder and delete all the files.

4. Run Disk Cleanup. However, read this before running it http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ If you have any of the large files mentioned in the article, dont continue with it but run the Vista Disk Cleanup error bug fix http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/175654-disk-cleanup-windows-error-reporting-bug-fix.html

Access Disk Cleanup by going to Windows Orb (Start) > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools.

5. If you don't use Hibernation you can save the equivalent in hard drive space as the amount of RAM that is installed by turning it off. In a Run window, type powercfg.exe -h off (note the two spaces) and press Enter. To turn it back on type powercfg.exe -h on and press Enter.

6. Reduce the amount of space used by system restore. Open an elevated command prompt by clicking the Windows Orb (Start) > All Programs > Accessories and right-click Command Prompt, then Run as Administrator. To display the current parameters type (or Copy and mouse right-click > Paste) vssadmin list shadowstorage (not the quotes but the two spaces) and press Enter. To reduce (or increase) the disk space allocated, type (or Copy and Paste) vssadmin resize shadowstorage /on=c: /for=c: /maxsize=5GB (not the quotes but the five spaces) and press Enter. This example assumes changing the space on drive C to 5GB. You may find that all the restore points have been removed after resizing so make sure the computer is behaving itself before reducing the space allocation. Also, make a manual restore point immediately after resizing.

7. Reduce the space used by the Recycle Bin. Right-click the Bin > Properties > Custom Size and amend as necessary. Also, if you have a separate hard drive, more space can be released by moving the pagefile to it.

8. The huge, Windows\winsxs (side by side folder) folder has a built-in function which identifies items that have been replaced by newer versions and it removes them.

8a. Also, there is a run-once program in SP1 that will immediately clean up all the components that were replaced in the Winsxs folder when SP1 was installed. NOTE that once you run the program you will no longer be able to remove SP1 should any problems occur, so make absolutely certain your computer is behaving itself before running it. Firstly, check the size of the folder by right-clicking it, choose Properties and make a note of its size and the number of files and folders. To run the program, open Windows Explorer and navigate to C:\Windows\System32, look for the file VSP1CLN.EXE (the capitals are for clarity only), right-click it, select Run As Administrator then reply Y to the prompt. Now check its size again. You will be pleasantly surprised by how much disk space you have reclaimed.

8b. There is no harm in running the program where SP1 was either included on the DVD or slipstreamed into the DVD before installation. Depending upon what has been installed, you may gain some disk space. The VSP1CLN.EXE program is described here https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc709655.aspx

I have this problem all the time. Vista seems to take alot of temporary data and stuff like that. And many unneeded processes. Normally I look at tweaking websites. Just Google something like 'Vista 64-bit tweaks'

So how to resolve this, I have done lots of research but not good effects. I only got back some of my memory by using Ccleaner. But still it doesn't convince me, how can the computer eat up 8Gb u just one day??