xisto Community
webishqiptar

Problem With Permissions On Public Htm!

I recently installed a Vanilla forum on a subdomain on my hosting account supported from Xisto forums. But I have a problem I cannot change files permissions of a file so I cannot change it. The only solution I found is to delete the file than re upload the changed file from my computer. Any ideas??

Yes, the file may not belong to you. Let me explain.When an auto-install script adds a file, the 'User' that the script runs under is a generic user on the Server. If the file in question was created by this user, then you are not the 'owner' and cannot modify the permissions. You need to write a script that modifies those file permissions so that it is the 'owner' of the files making the modifications.I have (at least *had*) a script to do just that. I'll have a look for it and let you know if it is available. :lol:

Look in c-panel.You should be able to change the permissions ofthe file once you have uploaded it. Each file has a tab where you can setpermissions. For example 0777 gives full read and write permissions for anybody.

No I have not been able to modify from cpanel too. I deleted the file(.php extension) and then reuploaded with ftp filezilla again. It worked fine. The file was stuck at 644 and won't change :lol: I don't know could you suggest a forum for my site? I tried this Vanilla, but was not such as good. It had problems with extension compatibility. Should I use phpbb??

Edited by webishqiptar (see edit history)