xisto Community
andresf91

Formatting For Linux Install Any special requirements?

I have this old computer that I don't want to throw away: Pentium Celeron 433Mhz, 64 MB RAM, 80Gb Hard Drive (two partitions 40/40), Win98 SE... etc. It's old. Nine years or so.Also, I've always wanted to try Linux stuff.So, my idea is to install a light distro of Linux (DeLi Linux or other, I'm still thinking but that's the strongest option) from zero. This means I need to format the hard drive, so my questions are:-Will my partitions work on Linux?-Is there any special requirement I should do when formatting?I really don't have any experience with these things, so sorry if my questions are kind of dull. All I can think is to follow instructions I've found in the Internet on formatting the hard disk from MS-DOS format function, and then... install the Linux distro from a CD.That would work right? Should I do something else?

Depending on the installation process for your distribution of choice, you have a few possibilities. Some distributions will ask if you want them to automatically wipe your hard drive and start from scratch. They'll configure all the partitions themselves and set themselves up.

Some come with a partition tool, but will need you to do the work. In this case, delete all the partitions on the hard drive currently. Then create one partition of about 15GB and set its mount point as /. Create another partition of around 64GB and mount that as /home. Then use the last 1GB and set that to be used as swap. It's important to have that 1GB swap, so if you have to shrink one of the others, shrink the /home one down to give you the room for the swap.

The advantage of a separate /home partition is that if you do something terrible to your installation you can reinstall but just format the / partition. This leaves your data intact between installations.

If they don't have a partition tool in the installer then you will need to use another method to partition the drive. There are CDs you can download which let you partition the drive, so use one of those. Then set up the partitions as described above.

You might want to have a look at xUbuntu for the small RAM you are using there. Not sure on the specifics, but apparently it runs on less powerful machines okay. It loads a bunch of software with it, too, reducing the amount of work (learning curve) for a beginner Linux user.

Thanks for the tips.rvalkass: The partition ideas are appreciated.jihaslip: I've just checked out about xUbuntu, but it needs 128 MB RAM. It is still a good option, if I consider upgrading the memory. I think there was a problem with the old motherboard and new memory cards, but I'll check about it again, maybe I can get something. Thanks for the advice.

You can also try the : arch Linux distribution. It is designed to be a lightweight and optimized linux for x86 architectures.

The latest install files recommends that you dispose at least of 64MB of low memory image.

Here is the link to download it: https://www.archlinux.org/download/

You can find a step-by-step install instructions here: http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

Hope this helps.

What you can do is install something like Fluxbuntu or DSL. The last time i tried DSL, it only took up 50mbs of RAM for the whole system (i.e. as big as the system itself was). These two are both binary-based distros, so it'll be easier on the computer.

The latest install files recommends that you dispose at least of 64MB of low memory image.

I would say that is assuming you won't be installing any GUIs. And if i'm not mistaken, Arch Linux is a source-based distribution, so with the kind of specs we've been presented, i would not recommend that distribution, since you'd be doing a lot of compiling.

there's no special requirements to install linux. when you try to install linux, the installation will probably prompt you what to do.With 64mb of ram, it's probably advisable to run a linux distribution without any graphical desktop. What's a better way to learn linux than the old good console way anyway!