xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Deepak kesarwani

Pc Turn On For Sec With Red Light And Then Turn Off?

Hello,I'm newbie here, so i need some advice from all of you. My PC got some kind of problem. When I want to turn it on it turn on for a second with red light and motherboard fan also spin for a second and turn off when redlight turn off.May I know what's wrong with my pc. Plz help me out....

I JUST troubleshot this a month ago so this might help you out.One of your components may have died for one reason or another. The motherboard may be shot somehow, or your processor may have died. Use a test bed to check if your processor still works. If not, I would suspect that the mobo just bit it, which means that you can put that warranty to good use. :PIf you want to be thorough, and you should be, try to power on your system with basic essential hardware to see if there's a bad component (like a dead stick of RAM) to see if it's preventing your computer from POSTing. If all else fails, like I said, the mobo might be toast. If you have a test bed, test all of your components individually with working hardware on the test bed to check if that component is bad. You can also try another power supply with the system in question, just in case your current power supply, for some reason, is dying or whatever the case may be.

I have not much more to say than;1. Make sure you have all the connections, if you do, open up your pc and clean up the dust.2. Remove all additional devices, usb sticks, webcam, anything, even mouse and keyboard.3. If it doesn't start, use the warranty card if you have one, or have it fixed otherwise.

razoredge is right .. May be one of your component just died .. However , Check your SMPS first . Happened to me once when My PC didn't turn on, No lights, Problem was SMPS. I believe may be one of your SMPS wires could be faulty. Try changing your SMPS (borrow it from a friend or something)You didn't specify and specs for your machine so I can't give you a wattage for your SMPS , Try 550 Watt or 600 Watt If that doesn't help.I'll suggest you clean up all the dust from your processor. That can also be a problem

The same problem was with me also and i tried opening my cpu and then cleaned the ram and then it finally worked.I think by cleaning the ram i just removed the moister present in it, we can use a newspaper or just a simple rubber used for rubbing pencil marks.thank you very much and also try out my idea.

This problem can also be your CPU, or maybe your Power Supply. Now since I am doing a Computer Technition course, I MIGHT be able to help you.

...On to it..

If you have TWO RAM cards or possibly one, it really does not matter (But your RAM cards MUST be 256MB or higher. Since if your running Windows XP (and I know you probably might be) or Windows Vista you'll want more RAM. Esspesually if you are running on alot of resources like games etc on your PC or Photoshop even.

You will need more then 256 MB of RAM. Anyway, onto the point. Try to switch your RAM card into another slot. If it is currently in a Green slot, try and place it in the Purple one. This depends really on your motherboard type. Though mine is MSI and NVIDIA, mine are green and purple.

Try putting your RAM card into another slot (Make sure you are not, I REPEAT NOT carrying any static shock in your body otherwise you will fry your chips in your board. Don't even touch ANYTHING inside your PC if you have static. To check yourself for static I am going to tell you to put both of your hands onto some metal that is connected to the electric sockets and is on. Like a DVD recorder/player, or a Video Recorder/VCR or even the back of your PC on the metal parts near your wires.

IF you get a little shock, then it is imperritive that you do NOT perform any actions inside your PC till this static of electricity is out of your body. You need to wait. Please read this article if you have static shock.

If you dont have any static, we may proceed with the actions! B)

OK, now as some are quite affraid of being inside PCs with all the dangerious things in it, do not panic. Just forget about your little fears. I used to be very scared being inside my PC with what the Power Supplies and chips, wires, cards etc. But then I got over it. (Well I have to forget about the pain of proper shocks when doing my College courses etc doing IT technition).

If it is your RAM card that is bust or not working the way it should be, then replace it. Simply purchase a new one from Amazon, PC World or what ever Computer shop that's best for you. If it's your Power Supply that has gone dead, purchase a new one. Just like your Power Supply. Though if it's your motherboard or Processor then simply buy a new one. B) Though Processor AND board may be more expensive then RAM cards and Power Supplies. Not to worry though! B) You will get through it. :P

But if it is your CPU or BIOS chip, then....I don't know. You'd most probably have to purchase a new board. Unless you can get these two little components for your PC with ease by your local computer shops or online.

However, I think that is all I can think of right now sorry. But I hope I have given you much greatly appreciated support! B) And good luck with getting your computer fixed. B)