xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
jaychant

Why Do They Expect You To Know Everything?

One thing I really hate is when my classmates expect me to know EVERYTHING and be smart in EVERY field, just because I'm smart in one field. Has anyone else experienced this?The thing that nobody understands is that nobody knows EVERYTHING. Just because you're a computer brainiac doesn't mean that you understand cars, for example. Yet people just figure that smart people are just smart at EVERYTHING.Why don't people understand that there are many different fields of expertise, and we just can't be experts at EVERYTHING??? :P

perhaps when you talk to people you come off as a well rounded person who knows a little bit of everything, just enough to be able to make his own in life. Not a total expert in every field of interest in the world. Perhaps when someone asked a question before that was in an alternate field of interest other than computers, you were able to answer it, and since that was the only time that person/those people ever talked to you besides about computers, they assume you know more than just computers.I cant think of the specific term for it, but in my sociology/psychology class we talked about things like this and what brings those thoughts around. And the basic principle of the matter was that it's all about how you let yourself off, either as a very confident person whenever you answer someones question no matter the subject, or a not so confident person in all subjects except computers. So just think about how you show yourself off, think about how often you talk to those people, and when you do what do you talk to them about? Anything that might lead them to believe you know more than just 'computers'? etc..