xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
TheDisturbedOne

Tdo's Ipod Touch Guide

I have been working with my iPod Touch, and here is a guide on the iPod Touch.

Getting Started

"Which iPod to get?" is a question that many people ask. I would say stay with the Second Generation iPods now, unless you don't have a lot of money. The Second Generation iPod has the ability to have a microphone added to it, and has an external speaker, which is nice to have. The only downfall to the Second Generation iPod Touch, is that it cannot be charged with a firewire cable. Unless you have a firewire cable, this doesn't apply to you, but I have one.

The iPod Touch OS takes about 1.5GB of space, so keep that in mind when you are buying an iPod Touch. 16GB really means about 14.5GB. Unless you have a lot of music and movies, an 8GB or 16GB should suit you fine. When you are buying an iPod Touch, look around for the best deal. Walmart usually has iPods for less than the regular price, and once in a while Target runs a promo. If you have an old iPod, buy your iPod Touch at the Apple Store, and they will give you a 10% discount when you turn in the old iPod. If you go to college or work as a teacher, or work for the government, buy the iPod online. You will get a small discount (about $10). Otherwise, I would highly suggest buying refurbished. The iPod gets new cover and a new battery, so it is just like new. When you choose shipping, always choose the free shipping. I got my iPod in two days (from China to New York) using the "five day" shipping.

Getting the iPod and Starting it up

When you get the iPod, plug it into your computer using the USB cord. On a Windows computer, the iPod will install in a few seconds, and it will be ready for use right then. If you want to add music, open up iTunes, and drag music onto the iPod icon. If you want to add video, you have to make sure it is in .mp4, .m4v, or .mov format. It will not work if it isn't in one of those formats. If you need a good converter, go to http://applian.com/windows/?utm_source=vixy.net&utm_medium=redirect . The site is one of the best video converters out there.

Apps and other things

One of the best features on the iPod Touch is the App Store. The App Store has thousands of Apps, ranging from Games to Maps. One of the best Apps out there (ironically it is used to get other Apps) is AppMiner. This App shows you the newest Apps to be put online, and ones that have been on sale. This is a great way to get Apps for cheaper or even free. Another good App (especially if you like classic rock music) is Wolfgang's Concert Vault. This App has tons of old concerts dating back to the 1960's, available for streaming. If you like Guitar Hero, Tap Tap Revenge is for you. It is a great free App, and you can download tracks and play online.

A great tip for Apps, is that if you are looking for something, look hard. Usually there is a free version of something that you are looking for. AppMiner is great for this too.

Note: In order to download Apps, you MUST have an iTunes account. You can create an iTunes account on the iTunes music store. You don't need a credit card to open an iTunes account, but if you want to buy Apps and you don't have a gift card, you must put in your credit card.

For optimization of the iPod Touch's battery, turn down the brightness of the screen in "Settings". It can really help, and usually you don't need a very bright back light. The best tip to optimize your battery's life is to turn off WiFi when you aren't using it. The iPod consistently looks for a WiFi connection, and this will drain your battery VERY fast. Also turning off the display when you are listening to music (even though this is done automatically) helps save the battery. This can be done by pushing the button at the top of the iPod Touch.

If you have any questions, or if you have any comments, post them here. Hopes this helps a lot of people out!

Hi!

I have an iPhone (1st generation - 2G) and a lot of what you mention applies. I'd like to add a bit about the differences between the iPod and the iPhone.

Earphone Jack

The iPhone 2G has a non-standard earphone jack (I'm guessing this has changed in the 3G, but can't confirm it yet). If you want to connect external speakers/headphones/earphones, you can use the cradle - it has a standard line-out socket.

Size

The iPhone (both 2G and 3G) are slightly thicker than the iPod, meaning more weight.

Connectivity

The iPod only provides WiFi connectivity, which makes it useful for Internet access only when you're close to a wireless access point. If you are on-the-go, it makes more sense to get an iPhone.

If you are considering getting a used iPod Touch/iPhone, you can get a battery kit from your nearest iPhone/iPod dealer.

Regards,

Nitin Reddy