xisto Community
tinoymalayil

Could U Please Answer The Difference Between Kde And Gnome About KDE and GNOME Version of Opensuse 11.0

Hi Members,Please Reply me what is the difference between a KDE Version of a Linux(OpenSuse, Fedora etc) and its GNOME Version..In OpenSuse 11.0 Both are looking the same.But I saw more Graphics in the KDE Version.But Actually is there any peculiarity for KDE in its Operating System function other than the GNOME Version.

Both are GUI systems for linux. Both systems are mature and provide high-level functionality for writing software.From a user's perspective, the major difference is look and feel. Some people prefer the L&F of KDE, whereas others prefer Gnome. There are some programs that only have one interface. So, if you use such a program in the opposite environment (for example, use a Gnome program in a KDE environment) it will look very different. However, the functionality will all stay the same.System and configuration utilities are also different for the two systems. In the end, it is all a matter of preference, as there is no substantive difference between them.Regards,z.

All I know is that there is a general graphic/theme difference and that in the past they ran different programs, some worked on one, some didn't and so on. Although I have always used Gnome GUI, some people say they like KDE but I'm not sure why. KDE now reminds me of Windows 7. I guess like Windows 7 stole the idea from KDE, similar to Windows Vista supposedly stole ideas from OSX. HAHA

Hi Members,

Please Reply me what is the difference between a KDE Version of a Linux(OpenSuse, Fedora etc) and its GNOME Version..In OpenSuse 11.0 Both are looking the same.But I saw more Graphics in the KDE Version.But Actually is there any peculiarity for KDE in its Operating System function other than the GNOME Version.

They are different window managers. KDE looks more like vista or windows seven. Uses a modified version of compiz fusion. I personally dont like KDE because the setting and positioning seems archaic to me. However KDE has desktop wide search by default which is good. Gnome generally has a plainer theme by default with two panels which is a design unique to linux. Although gnome looks rather plain if you get more expeirence with linux you will learn how to dress it up immensely. Also gnome uses the full version of Compiz Fusion and Emerald (howerver some distros will make it slightly more complicated to install emerald). Also I like the added flexibility of gnome.

Default kde desktop

Posted Image

Default gnome desktop

Posted Image

Ps. the picture of kde has some apps running in wine...

Edited by random truth (see edit history)

Generally, there is very little difference between them. By default they look a bit different, especially in the layout of their menus and toolbars. For example, Gnome usually has 2 toolbars on the desktop and 3 menus (IIRC), but KDE has one toolbar and one menu. However, each one can be made to behave like the other.They also have slightly different ways of theming them, and look different by default. However, you can once again made Gnome look like KDE and vice versa. Other settings are also slightly different, and system and settings dialogues look a little different between the two.The most noticeable difference is the programs you can use. Both KDE and Gnome have a different default set of programs (Amarok vs. Rhythmbox for example). Generally people prefer one set of applications to another, and stick with that. But, once again, it is possible to run Gnome applications in KDE and to run KDE applications in Gnome. Overall, it makes very little difference if you don't already have a strong preference.

While KDE4 may have a similar feel to Windows, it also has a kind of Mac OS look to it. In fact, in KDE3 it is possible to have a panel that imitates the tool bar on the Mac OS. For Mac users entering a GNOME environment, they may get a form of nostalgia when observing that the default set-up has the menus at the top, while the task bar is at the bottom. But i would say that is about as far as it goes with GNOME's default set-up concerning the Mac OS. Unless of course you go all out in customizing GNOME to get that almost identical feel to the Mac OS by going with the same techniques as Mac4Lin.

Ps. the picture of kde has some apps running in wine...

Actually, the picture looks more of KDE4 being ran on top of Windows Vista. I say this for several reasons: (1) It's actually possible to run KDE4 on Windows; (2) the only way for a Linux user to be able to download Chrome for Windows in a Linux set-up is if they download one of the snapshots, which does not even run on Wine without having access to a Windows setup; (3) all except (what appears to be) two processes end in EXE—and Wine doesn't open up so many just to run itself and the Windows program; (4) the KDE4 system monitor is not by default laid out in the manner shown in the picture—it would require a lot of source code hacking to get it to look like that; (5) the GUI theme in Dolphin, plus the window manager theme, does not reflect the original Oxygen theme: that is, look at the dock widget labeled "Places" and you'll see that the buttons for closing and undocking reflecting a Windows setup, likewise the highlight color for "Home"—that is, the highlight color is not a gradient like in the original Oxygen theme.

Actually, the picture looks more of KDE4 being ran on top of Windows Vista. I say this for several reasons: (1) It's actually possible to run KDE4 on Windows; (2) the only way for a Linux user to be able to download Chrome for Windows in a Linux set-up is if they download one of the snapshots, which does not even run on Wine without having access to a Windows setup; (3) all except (what appears to be) two processes end in EXE—and Wine doesn't open up so many just to run itself and the Windows program; (4) the KDE4 system monitor is not by default laid out in the manner shown in the picture—it would require a lot of source code hacking to get it to look like that; (5) the GUI theme in Dolphin, plus the window manager theme, does not reflect the original Oxygen theme: that is, look at the dock widget labeled "Places" and you'll see that the buttons for closing and undocking reflecting a Windows setup, likewise the highlight color for "Home"—that is, the highlight color is not a gradient like in the original Oxygen theme.

I did not know that you could run kde on windows. Its been a about 5 years since I have even wanted to do something like that and the answer was that the dwm was too intwined into the os. But, after looking into it further that is kde running on windows xp. Nevertheless, it does show the default kde desktop whether it is on windows or linux it will pretty much look the same. Edited by random truth (see edit history)

One of them is probably faster right? I bet its gnome.. havent tried linux though.

GNOME is more lightweight, yes, but both will perform as fast as the system will allow it to. I'm not sure how many processes GNOME runs on start-up since i'm not a GNOME fan, but KDE makes use of a lot of its own daemons. You don't need to install a Linux distribution to play around with these environments—albeit, it may be a bit troublesome trying to run it in a Windows or Mac OS environment. Systems about up to 5 to 7, maybe more, years of age shouldn't have any trouble running these environments. Anything lower and we might recommend XFCE or LXDE instead.