xisto Community
ORene

Hindu Weddings expand your knowledge

Weddings are an important religious aspect in Hinduism. I am not Hindu but this is something that I find very interesting.

After going to India and witness an uncle's wedding, it caught my attention... so I made some research. In the following post I'm going to explain Hindu weddings so that you guys know what they are about and know more about their culture and religion.

What is a Hindu wedding? you might ask

Marriages in the Hindu tradition are mostly arranged. It is not only the union of two people, it is the union of 2 families.

The groom and the bride can even know or met before, or they can be unknown.

Hindu wedding is a religious and a social event.

This tradition is one of the most important sacraments in Hindu religion.

Where do they take place? this is one of my favorite parts. I totally loved the canopy in my uncle's wedding.

It usually takes place in the bride?s house or in a place decided by the groom and bride?s family.

The ceremonies take place in an open space under a canopy or mandap.

Clothes. During the wedding they wear special clothes.

The bride and the groom use traditional Indian wear.

Posted Image

here we can see the traditional clothes.

Steps. During the wedding they follow some steps, this is how they are called and what they consist of

Vara Satkaarah ? The couple meets at the entrance of the place where the wedding will take place. The priest chants some mantras and the bride's mother blesses the groom.

Madhuparka Ceremony -

The couple goes to the altar and the bride's father concesses presents.

Kanya Dan - The bride's father gives away his daughter to the groom.

Vivah-Homa - The sacred fire ceremony begins.

Pani-Grahan - The groom takes the right hand of the bride in his left hand and accepts her as his wife

Pratigna-Karan - The couple walk around the fire and they make vows of fidelity. The bride leads.

Shila Arohan - The bride's mother helps her to get on a stone slab.

Laja-Homah ? The couple hold their hands and make offers to the sacred fire

Mangal Fera - The couple walks in circles around the sacred fire seven times. This ceremony legalizes the wedding.

Saptapidi - Is one of the most important steps of the Hindu wedding.

The bride and the groom make 7 steps around a fire.

Each step has its meaning. They are vows.

1st step: a vow to provide good living in the house.

2nd step: a vow to develop the physical, mental and spiritual powers.

3rd step: a vow to increase the wealthy for family comfort.

4th step: a vow for happiness, knowledge, mutual love, understanding and trust.

5th step: a vow for productive life and having children.

6th step: a vow for self discipline and self control. Having a healthy life.

7th step: a vow for true and loyalty between the bride and the groom.

Final steps: these are the last things of the wedding ceremony

Abhishek ? They sprinkle water and meditate about the sun and the pole star.

Anna Praashan ? The couple offers food to the sacred fire, then they feed each other in a sign of affection.

Aashirvadah ? The couple is blessed by their elders

Well this is all, if you'd like to know more details you can ask :P

Of course you can add your personal vows, however those are the traditional vows... if you choose to add some vows, you don't do it during the Saptapidi, you do it during the Pratigna-Karan ... My uncle didn't add any vows tho...At least during the ceremony he didn't. Also the reason why its seven round is because its a symbolic number, and as I wrote, they each have a special meaning

Different groups within the Hindu society have different customs and traditions too. There's a tradition in the southern part of India (Rajapalayam, close to Chennai) where all the attendees give the bride and the groom a slice of a banana and milk, and the couple is supposed to consume it right there! Usually the weddings have at least five hundred visitors, so the newly-wed wouldn't really be looking forward to the lunch/dinner following the wedding :-PIn the Andhra region, the attendees throw uncooked rice mixed with turmeric at the couple, symbolizing blessings.@ORene: The wedding ceremony isn't under a canopy - it's at a wedding hall. They just put up a canopy outside the house of the bride and the groom.

Wedding DateHindu Weddings

Hi

please can you tell me what good hindi dates are they in October 2010 on sundays?

the current priest gave me a date in the middle is pitur pakh and I don't think it is correct. 

-reply by Leane

The Hindu weddings are auspicious events.The wedding ceremonies are not performed just in a single day.There are many rituals which are done before the marriage and take about 4-5 days before the actual wedding day.Hindu weddings vary as per the cultural difference.There are many different forms like the south Indian wedding, the Bengali Wedding, Rajasthani weddings.The variations add upon the beauty of the weddings.It can't be described in one go and rather it will be confusing, we talk about them in detail.But the modern Indian weddings are less towards following all the rituals but rather they have taken a large than life show.Indian weddings are kind of celebrations with food, clothing, dance and fun of a week.