xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
kleong

Mkv To Avi?

MKV is just a container for files, such it is that many times you'll get a video file (included music) with subtitles, etc. I have a software I once used to get the files that it contained. The name is MKV Toolnix, and you can get it here. I expect that once you download it, you'll understand yourself how to make it work. It's pretty easy, and even though I don't have any set-up instructions if you can't do it just ask.

A simple Google search gives a couple of links leading to commercial software that seems to offer conversion from it to .avi search:mkv to avi and the best link from all of them seems to be this tutorial which demands that you need to download a codec pack. Not sure if it's virus free though :P

I just use Linux and VLC player which reads .mkv files perfectly, so I really don't see the need of me for this kinds of software. Just plain happy that I don't :)

Kleong, it depends on the MKV.It is pretty simple to take the video out of its container for the mkv to avi, but when you have subtitles, it gets much worse.I can't give you all the ways to do it, but basically if you have subtitles, you need a splitter which will remove the subtitles from the video, save them in a separate file, then you need to remove the avi from the video, then you need to bind them both (the sub titles and the video) together (hard coded).I will try to post more information on this later.

You should be able to convert an MKV file to any format MPlayer supports using MPlayer or MEncoder. I've converted many video formats to AVI and MPEG, and have also extracted sound from FLV files, through the command line using either MPlayer or MEncoder. The MPlayer documentation provides information on what codecs you can use and what arguments to pass to these programs. Very useful.

I convert most of my videos using Prism Video Converter. All you need to do is select the ouput format and it is done (time required for process). It also works for .mkv files. If it prompts you for codec download, just do as demanded. That's what I usually do when converting.