xisto Community
rpgsearcherz

Please Review My Blog - Knowledge Based Started a blog...Let me know what you think?

If anyone still reads this topic, I need advice.More or less my domain just quit working all of a sudden (the website lags out horribly and usually won't even load). I contacted Xisto - Web Hosting and they said it is due to the site loading .png's but that's required due to Joomla. Nothing had changed on the site. I was just loading it up one day and it wouldn't load. I checked the last "saved" version on Google and it loaded fine (it was "saved" on the 9th) but ever since then the site has pretty much been down.Now for the weird part..I am unable to access:SitemapComponentsMain page (bryworld.com)Direct articlesHowever I am able to access:cpanel (bryworld.com/cpanel)admin backend (bryworld.com/administrator)subdomain/folder (bryworld.com/testing)Does anyone have any idea as to what could be causing this issue? I'm still working with CH to attempt to resolve the problem but I have no idea where to even start. Nothing like this has happened before.

I resolved the issue.. I was forced to completely wipe the domain and start from scratch (although I preserved my articles).In the meantime I also did a complete revamp of the website and it looks much, much different now. At the moment I am still trying to determine which direction to take the site. What I would love to do is implement some type of user interactivity so we can learn from each other instead of me being the sole speaker.

Nice design overall, I think maybe the blogspot or a wordpress layout would do better. Such a robust Content Manage System like Joomla! makes it looks so advanced for a site about school and your personal worries. You should try using something simple to start with and make the theme match your interests, because it looks too profressional to be about something personal. Maybe a more whimsical versus a dark and dreary theme would make it look more personal. I like some of the articles, but the idea is a little overused. Find a small niche that you like adding and go from there. Update more on twitter to show that you are there all the time, don't make your updates too personal like Justin Links, cause thats already been done, and it can affect your life more than you think. I would actually remove the Twitter sidebar if you don't like to update that much, add some more things to follow you, and share these articles on other sites, best way to build traffic is to be a guest writer for other blogs. Forums aren't that useful unless its a niche topic. A niche for a forum needs to be really indepth and you need a large community for that. Get a community, you know you have a good enough community for a forum where each post has at least a 100 comments that actually discuss and don't advertise, and at least 100 different users commenting.

Nice design overall, I think maybe the blogspot or a wordpress layout would do better. Such a robust Content Manage System like Joomla! makes it looks so advanced for a site about school and your personal worries. You should try using something simple to start with and make the theme match your interests, because it looks too profressional to be about something personal. Maybe a more whimsical versus a dark and dreary theme would make it look more personal. I like some of the articles, but the idea is a little overused. Find a small niche that you like adding and go from there. Update more on twitter to show that you are there all the time, don't make your updates too personal like Justin Links, cause thats already been done, and it can affect your life more than you think. I would actually remove the Twitter sidebar if you don't like to update that much, add some more things to follow you, and share these articles on other sites, best way to build traffic is to be a guest writer for other blogs. Forums aren't that useful unless its a niche topic. A niche for a forum needs to be really indepth and you need a large community for that. Get a community, you know you have a good enough community for a forum where each post has at least a 100 comments that actually discuss and don't advertise, and at least 100 different users commenting.

Thanks a lot for the information! It really is helpful.

On the topic about the niche, I'm quite unsure where to go yet. People always say to "choose a topic you love" but that would be school. Some then say to "write about your major" but I've been changing them so many times it's ridiculous (Psychology to criminal justice to forensic psychology to business to accounting to developmental psychology to science...) I'm just really not sure where I want to take it yet.

Getting off on many different topics is helping to determine which ones are the most interesting to people though, which is helping me narrow down somewhat. To be honest I would rather it *not* be a blog and be something completely different that involves user interaction, but I am unsure where to start that at. Not to mention building user bases is a little difficult when starting from scratch.

About Twitter... I'm very new to it, so I'll get used to it over time.

Thanks again for the comment! I do agree with you about the theme of the site, I just like looking "above and beyond" most other websites.