xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
cyber_electrons

"it's Not The Computer's Fault, Just Humans"

This is quoted from the email - "Person x assures person y that computers don't go wrong - just humans!"I was arguing with my friend about this statement. My friend keep saying that anything that goes wrong in a computer, it will be the computer's fault. I tried to explain to him about the root of a problem about computers but he doesn't seem to care about the existance of the root of the problem, which are humans. I would agree to the statement - "It's not the computer's fault, just humans". Computers and software are humans creation. Computers are logical devices which follows exactly as programmed. Whenever a bug exists, people may initially think that the computer has gone wrong. But actually, the root of the problem comes from human. If a human writes a program with a bug and someone uses it on a computer, the user may complain about the program not working because of the computer. The computer logically runs the program and follow every string in it, even the bugs. The computer went wrong because of the human programming error. Now, who's fault is it?I think that there is a misunderstanding between computers going wrong and humans writing a piece of code without knowing the existence of accidental bugs. A bug may come from a typographical error, wrong use of a certain command, or humans are not logical enough. When the computer runs a program, it is not necessarily using the same software as the software used to write the program. So if there is anything wrong, it would seem that the computer does not understand the program. But the software used to run the program is also programmed by a human. So who's fault is it now?Some may argue that the computer may have changed the coding of the program and cause it to malfunction. But what makes the computer the change the coding in the first place? It could be a fault in the coding of the program itself or human could have ran another pr gram using the computer previously and followed exactly as programed which is to change the coding. It's would be quite difficult for computers or any artificial intelligence to think for them selves as they are logical devices. Generally, without logical and specific commands for the devices, I think it would not be possible for those devices to work in the way humans wanted. Unless humans could develop a complex device similar to a human brain or similar complex organs, I don't think A.I. can think for them selves...yet.Thoughts?

I agree. Humans make the computers, therefore humans are responsible. Here's a really stupid analagoy I just made up right now because I want to get some more Mycent :PLets say you make a taco. You give the taco to your friend. He says "This is the worst taco alive. " You reply that it's the taco's fault. we all know this is not true because YOU FRICKING MADE THE TACO ya n00b. So that means you are at fault.So there :)