xisto Community
aloKNsh

Types Of Booting

Hard-boot is when you reboot using the restart switch.Most of the processes are running so data might get corrupt. Also if you were in the middle of some critical program you might corrupt your hard-disk.Soft-boot is like rebooting from start menu. You reboot through the command. Hence , all the programs are first shut-down and then the reboot is initiated.I hope you know what booting is

Hard-boot is when you reboot using the restart switch.
Most of the processes are running so data might get corrupt. Also if you were in the middle of some critical program you might corrupt your hard-disk.

Soft-boot is like rebooting from start menu.
You reboot through the command. Hence , all the programs are first shut-down and then the reboot is initiated.

I hope you know what booting is

I thought he might mean like booting from LiveCD's and stuff,

Anyways, Hard-Boot in my opinion [not sure if thats the right term anyhow], is booting from a OS that is installed on a Hard Disk Drive.

And Soft-Boot is when you launch a distro of Linux off of a Live CD or run Windows XP off of a USB OR running a program through DOS that has been booted from a Device.

yaaa i was somewhat looking for it thankyou very muchand also can anyone tell me any other types or only this two types of booting

As bluedragon said, hard booting just means shutting the computer all the way down (not necessarily by just pressing the power button), then starting it up using the power button.A soft boot is when you reboot from within the operating system without shutting all the way down (i.e. power is off).However, there are a lot of places you can boot from. Most modern BIOSes will allow you to boot from:- hard disk- floppy drive- cdrom drive- usb drive- network boot- over serial port (very specific, specialized BIOSes)I am sure there are others, but these are the main ones.Regards,z.