xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
gummybear

If You Meditate, What Are Your Basic Methods? breathing, visualizing, body positioning, etc

Just thought i'd bring this topic up because I've become interested in introducing some meditation into my life recently.. the only method that I recall i know is focusing on your breath, and using your breath as a center point in order to draw attention away from your thoughts...but for those who have been meditating for a long time, i wonder-- what method do you use? Are there any you find work better than others you may have tried?i'd like to get a good idea of what works for some people and what doesn't.. so yeah. Feel free to share :D

Edited by gummybear (see edit history)

I do, i do meditate sometimes, not in the ground with my eyes closed, that is not the essence nor the method, the method is that you must have complete control over your mind, over your feelings, over your soul, then you must know how to get out of your body, not literaly of course, just your mind, to a place you imagine, that place must have complete peace and harmony with everything arround you.If you control yourself, everything about yourself, innerself mainly, you can meditate, for that, you must learn how to control your temper, feelings like anger, ansiety, fear and other that are quite difficult to control, but in the end, you are an human beeing, you will fail sometimes, so learn how to try and fail in the meditation, but you must be consistent and you can not quit, ever.

Focusing on the breathing is just a method. The purpose is to occupy your mind and not let it wander around. In fact, in life, there are many times that you are mediating. Example, you are deep in thoughts with a problem at work or school. You need not be sitting cross-legged in a quiet room just to do mediation.

Instead of spending one or more hours daily in the name of meditation, I would suggest you a simple method.According to Hindu philosophy, man is essentially the Self, or soul. This soul is identical with God. But due to a cosmic ignorance or Maya, we have lost our identity with the Self and instead we believes that we are one body and a mind. It is better to think yourself as Self, one with God. Keep this knowledge in your mind always, as this is the result of all futile spiritual research in India.Buddha said that "You are what you think". So think the truth and you will reach the truth.Even though it seems simple, there are many problems.... We call them as "vasana" or modifications in the mind due to long term belief that we are the body... But practice regularly and you will succeed for sure.

Mediation, from what I have read is to fully concentrate on an "object" and not let the mind wander. At such, when one is fully concentrate on say their job, they are in fact in the mediated stage. But, if one is multi-tasking, then that throws the idea out of the window.

Just thought i'd bring this topic up because I've become interested in introducing some meditation into my life recently.. the only method that I recall i know is focusing on your breath, and using your breath as a center point in order to draw attention away from your thoughts...
but for those who have been meditating for a long time, i wonder-- what method do you use? Are there any you find work better than others you may have tried?

i'd like to get a good idea of what works for some people and what doesn't.. so yeah. Feel free to share :lol:

Is deep breathing and consentrate on the heart beat to take you to a relax state good?

Is deep breathing and consentrate on the heart beat to take you to a relax state good?

Dude... please look at the date of this thread before you reply... :lol: I really don't think that anyone that posted previously on this thread will actually reply to you... But anyway. If you want to ask a question just start a new thread in the threads are like ancient old. This isn't really, but anyway... :P

Deep breathing and concentration are only methods that you utilise and use to help you relax. As I said before in the previous thread that I have mentioned and replied... the basic aim of meditation is the be conscious and not conscious (unconscious to your surroundings) at the same time. By "deep breathing and concentrating" as you say it, but it should be rephrased as "concentration on your deep breathing", it just helps you to not listen and not look, while still catching sound and looking out with your eyes at the same time. But the real thing should be not concentrating on anything at all...

So just concentrate on concentrating on nothing. :( :( :(