xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Tenno

'puter Shutting Down Right After Start-up

My computer started shutting down almost immediately after startup recently. I did a bit of research from forums like this one. I decided to do a bit of troubleshooting.First, I decided to see if I had some bad memory. I removed bank 2 and that stopped the shut-downs. Guess that was the end. WRONG.I took out my CD burner and found that it had no jumper pin. So, I tried the different settings. It started shutting down right after startup, except when there was no jumper at all. Does that mean that something is wrong with my burner??? Shouldnt there be a jumper on the master setting???Any other thoughts???

HAHHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHi bet you like 20 bucks that its a virus.Its just a little fun virus that people make. Its a batch file, people can delete certain files, or put something in the start up menu, what you can do when it starts up, before it shuts down again you click RUN, and go to CMD and time in shutdown /a to abort the shut down. if that doesnt work, then you have a more serious problem and I owe you 20 bucks.Another option is that your power button gets stuck when you push it down, and it turns itself off..investigate both :D

Its just a little fun virus that people make. Its a batch file, people can delete certain files, or put something in the start up menu, what you can do when it starts up, before it shuts down again you click RUN, and go to CMD and time in shutdown /a to abort the shut down. if that doesnt work, then you have a more serious problem and I owe you 20 bucks.

That one is for if you get a countdown for shutdown, which the original poster didn't mention at all. But if it is the case, it's shutdown -a, and you can type it straight from the run prompt (windows-r).

My computer started shutting down almost immediately after startup recently. I did a bit of research from forums like this one. I decided to do a bit of troubleshooting.
First, I decided to see if I had some bad memory. I removed bank 2 and that stopped the shut-downs. Guess that was the end. WRONG.

I took out my CD burner and found that it had no jumper pin. So, I tried the different settings. It started shutting down right after startup, except when there was no jumper at all. Does that mean that something is wrong with my burner??? Shouldnt there be a jumper on the master setting???

Any other thoughts???

First, You didn't mention the make of your writer or any other specifications about your system.
It becomes hard to guess under these situations

Second. Since your CD Burner didn't have any jumper , it doesn't mean its not going to work. It could be on a CS mode where it can automatically decide whether to be a master or a slave. If you put up a jumper on master and IF your HDD is also on MASTER. The system WILL go into conflict and Hang/shutdown immediately

Happened to me once when I accidentally made three masters on my system. I am assuming you are having normal IDE cable for this.
Since you mentioned that your system rebooted when you made your CD burner as master

So the best way out of this is to make most of the drives as cable select where they'll automatically decide. Or Make One HDD as master and rest all on Cable select

Anyways. This should Solve the problem for the jumper part.

Now, Since your RAM also seems corrupt. Try putting in a different RAM from a friend and then test if its the RAM that's faulty or the RAM slot

Hope this helps

P.S. Noobs blame it on the virus. I believe they don't even know what a virus is :D.
Don't forget to take those 20 bucks from Tramposch