xisto Community
cyber_electrons

Traser Watches My friend has a traser watch

The traser watches, made by Swiss, has a unique selling point. It is the permanent lighting using a radioactive element tritium. It is in it's gas form and releases beta radiation. Beta radiation is an electron and when the electron hits the material, it gives off cold light - not producing heat. Unlike the other supercharged glowing illumination, the traser offers permanent light (always on) without the need of exposing the watch to light in order to see in the dark for a short while.

It has tritium next to every o'clock number and on the hands. Tritium is sealed in a vile so it does not harm anyone; it seals only a small amount. It has a half life of 12 years, meaning the number of bacquerel (Bq) - the number of activities from a radioactive source - will be halved in 12 years. I think the reliable illumination lasts for around 15 years.

Feel free to post your traser experience or opinions!

http://www.traser.com/seiten/?id=index-sprache-en

I have never heard of a watch like this. I honestlt do not thing that it would be a good idea having anything that is radioactive near your body for any time. would be a good idea at all. I dont care how well they may be sealed, because as we all know good and well. nothing is made perfect.

Heh, I think that's a pretty neat idea actually. It would be nice to have a watch that I can see at all hours of the day. Some of the watches were pretty nice looking as well. I imagine they have a pretty hefty price tag though :D. I'm quite sure I would not be able to afford one.As far as the danger of the radioactive components... Apparently they are well sealed and in such small amounts that if some sort of leak was to occur, they would disperse quickly and would not be harmless.Over all, I think this is some pretty neat technology.

Why does this remind me of the Radium Dial Company? I know the radiation from this watch is far far less than that from a radium watch, it just seems odd that history has repeated itself like this :D

Having a half life of around 12 years would mean that the brightness of the watch will decrease within the same sort of time scale. There will come a point when the dial is too dim to be of use when it's dark, and you'll have to buy a new watch. Also, what restrictions are there on throwing away tritium in household waste? I've no idea what the laws are, but there must be some restrictions on throwing that stuff away, just like there are on electronics and batteries.

I have never heard of a watch like this. I honestlt do not thing that it would be a good idea having anything that is radioactive near your body for any time. would be a good idea at all. I dont care how well they may be sealed, because as we all know good and well. nothing is made perfect.

Actually, we are always being exposed to background radiation. Such amount will not be very harmful. Even so, beta radiation cannot travel very far can can be stopped easily with thin aluminium.