xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
awa202

New Pc Build Advice - Reccomendations

Hi guys im building a new pc pretty soon for video editing, 3d modelling, web design and a bit of gaming and other stuffanyhow what do people out there think i should buy - here in australia i can get the following for about $1700 Aussie dollars or - 1110 USD.CPU: Intel i7 920Motherboard: Asus P6TRam: G.skill 6gb Triple channelGraphics card: Palit ati HD4870 512MBgeneric brand 700 W power supplyCase: Antec nine hundred and two HDD: Seagate 1000gb .anyone else out there running an i7 want to tell me what the think its like and how much of an increase in performance they notice from their previous machine?anyhow thanks guys

Its a nice config.You should go for a 1000 watt modular power supply may be an antec or coolermasterI don't know much about the motherboard but graphics card is quite powerfulas for the processors, i think it'll have its own advantages in coming years with applications taking advantage of the multiple coresbtw. If you are building a gaming machine. I'll suggest You choose any other decent processor (dual or quad or even an Extreme edition) with a card in SLi or Crossfire configurationSince you only require processor for processing related tasks in a game and 90 % contribution is that of the graphics card, I think this will prove a better config:D

Yeah I would have to agree that a 1000 Watt pwer supply would have to work especially since your using the new I7 processor. As for performance the I7 is supposed to be the fastest processor out now ffrom Intel and although it is still a bit new I would search around and see what they have for bench marks and reviews for this processor.

I think that your setup is a little overkill really...I spent $450 USD about 8 months ago for:Cheap Asus Mobo3.0 ghz dual core cpu(E8400)8800GT(512 mb video)2 GB ram(non dual channel)500W PSUAnd I can run the Adobe programs and all without issues. I've done video editing, graphical testing, etc. as well as have played a lot of the newest games without any FPS issues or anything else.And for the record, I'm on Vista.It's really all about how well you keep your system cleaned(software wise). If you clutter it up with 50 million programs running at once that you never use to begin with(For ex. if you have AIM, MSN messenger, Yahoo messenger, ICQ all running, why not spike all of those out for ONE 5 mb program - Trillian?)Don't get me wrong...Going ahead of today's new hardware will keep you updated for quite a while, but it will be cheaper next month, the month after that, etc. anyways.So for me, I just go for medium hardware and only spend $400-500 every 3-4 years and yet still get good framerates on all the latest software/games throughout that entire time. I guess it really just depends on how much you want to spend.

G'day mate, im from Australia too, Bendigo to be precise.

As for your system, it can be "overkill" as said by rpgsearcherz, but then again it could be well under par also. No one person giving advice in this thread will ever be right or wrong, and ultimately the decision will come down to you, and your needs for a PC.

Hi guys im building a new pc pretty soon for video editing, 3d modelling, web design and a bit of gaming and other stuff

if it is the first stuff you want to do, and just a bit of gaming, then CPU, RAM and a BIG hard Drive are your first priorities.

Then if you want to step up gaming a bit or you are having lag issues with your FPS, then go for dedicated graphics. I now notice though that you say 3d modelling.... 3ds Max?? what program will you use, are you going to render aswell?? then you need to start looking high end system. there are so many things to consider when buing a new PC, but i have found in my experience the most important thing to consider is, HOW MUCH!!!!

cost is a limiting factor, especially in these times, and you must first work out how much you can spend. Then you figure out where you want your system to go, and buy the most important component first, and spend the most on it, then budget/second hand the rest.

as for the system you stated;

CPU: Intel i7 920

Motherboard: Asus P6T

Ram: G.skill 6gb Triple channel

Graphics card: Palit ati HD4870 512MB

generic brand 700 W power supply

Case: Antec nine hundred and two

HDD: Seagate 1000gb

i think that its a great system, and not too bad a price, although with a bit of shopping around, you could get it cheaper, and get a few better components, and acessories. I will not advertise in this post, as thats in bad taste, but if you want more advice on cheaper components and good system configurations, then send me a private message or my msn on cabraamor@hotmail.com .

Although, as a lot of people are thinking, and a few have posted, the weak point of this system is definately the PSU, grossly underpowered, especially with the specs you got!! :D but all in all a good system, and the i7 is great, i have a few in my systems at home.

remember, feel free to contact me for advice on this, or anything else!!

Josh