xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
skyking22141

Cd-rom Not Recognized

I entered this problem a short while ago before I registered, but I don't see my problem here, so I am entering it again.

I have a NEC CD-ROM Drive:272 that the system stopped recognizing and I don't know why or how to fix it. When I look at system information, the drive info appears there and the drive also shows up in MYCOMPUTER after a reboot. But as soon as I put a CD in the drive, it disappears in MYCOMPUTER and the system stops accessing the drive. Can anyone tell me why this is happening and how to fix the problem? All assistance is greatly appreciated.

Skyking22141

I entered this problem a short while ago before I registered, but I don't see my problem here, so I am entering it again.

I have a NEC CD-ROM Drive:272 that the system stopped recognizing and I don't know why or how to fix it. When I look at system information, the drive info appears there and the drive also shows up in MYCOMPUTER after a reboot. But as soon as I put a CD in the drive, it disappears in MYCOMPUTER and the system stops accessing the drive. Can anyone tell me why this is happening and how to fix the problem? All assistance is greatly appreciated.

Skyking22141

Need a little more info please.

Is this a Desktop or laptop?

I have the same problem on my desktop, I want this resolved also. Just make sure to make your font smaller and spaced in your first post so its easier for other people to look at it. Just give us a bit more information, on it. Try Formatting the drive, that may solve your issue, I haven't discovered the actual problem with mine, so I've been using the secondary burner, as my main drive for now. There could be a problem with the physical drive, but check your drivers, because that is where you start. If you have Dell, they offer lifetime assistance so contact them and ask them for help, because this is more specialized issue.

Does the same problem occur when using the drive in another computer? Or do you only have access to one desktop computer? Does the problem occur only when a CD is put in or does it occur by just opening and closing the drive bay? The main reason why people open up the drive bay is to put a CD into, but a CD may be irrelevant to the actual problem. Therefore see if the drive is detected after merely opening and closing the drive bay, if you haven't done so already. If you have other CD drives in the system, does it happen to the other drives as well? And if you switch the positions of the drives, do the other drives then start experiencing the same problem or does the same drive experience the same problem? I'm no expert in this kind of thing, but the answers to these questions may help provide insight.

It either sounds like a bad CD-ROM drive, loose cable or driver issues, I would try this guide out and see if it helps out at all. Now if it is a Desktop make sure the cable from the CD-ROM drive to the power supply is connect properly or see if the cable is bad, or if it is a laptop your best bet is to get a hold of tech support for that laptop as it iwll either be a driver, registry, or hardware issue.