xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
serverph

Sdhc Cards And Hotswapping is it okay?

does anybody know if it is okay to hotswap SDHC cards... meaning to insert/remove an SDHC card on a digital camera or laptop even if the unit is running?i just bought an SDHC card and i just want to make sure if anybody has tried hotswapping this item on their cameras/laptops. :D some memory cards allow itself to be hotswapped (i got an MMC on my mobile), and so far i haven't lost any data on my MMC. same with SDHC cards? what is your experience?i'm not really planning to do a hotswap soon, since i'm making my SDHC card semi-permanent on my netbook... where i'll be making my backups and the home for my portable apps. but in the off-chance that i need to hotswap in the future (moving my backups on SDHC for use on another PC, or use the portable apps on another machine for a brief period of time -- and i don't want to shutdown my netbook), i want to be assured that my data remains intact. :Dfeedback! :P

I haven't had too many problems. But that is only with an SD card to and from my PC and computer. It usually works, but why do you need to keep it on and switch cards out? I only do it when I have it plugged in and switching, it just takes a bit to relead and then it has a little bit of a problem.

SDHC Cards can get corrupted only if you hotswap in the middle of a transaction. Otherwise it is safe to hotswap. Even, the corruption is a software one and not hardware level. Btw. Most of the hardware DOES NOT allow it to happen, that is why the card-slot is put behind the batteries. But if it is there as a separate slot then hotswap won't affect your data.I work with a Semi-professional camera and it does allow hotswap. Though I don't use a SDHC but it works fine.