xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
ackotheadvertiser

How To Defend Yourself From Being Hacked?

You asked if anyone knew who the actual group who hacked your site are or how to get hold of them. You might try, but as they are engaged in an illegal activity in the first place you will have to do some dedicated digging to found out who the actual people are. If they are good at what they do, they will spend as much time and energy covering their tracks as they do actually cracking your system.Part of network security strategy is to "know the enemy". This is a proactive security measure, meaning something that is continually researched and updated as a permanent standing system.Knowing the enemy is the only way to really understand who might be trying the attacks on your systems.Get to know the computer underground - as murky a place as it is - you will then be on top of the latest "threat" during the media frenzy that surrounds the release of new virii, worms, exploits etc.Usually most of the threats and security vulnerabilities are discovered by the computing underground long before the news or even security consultants get to know about them.Keeping up with the computing underground (if you can) is massively advantageous for your system security.Learn how to read your logfiles. This will tell you whether the attackers are script kiddies or elite hackers. If you've been hacked, script kiddies will have left tracks all over your log files as they scanned every port and common gateway interface hole there is. A seasoned hacker will have left little or no trace that they had ever been there.Check the logs regularly and pick up the forensic signs that you are under attack.To catch a hacker - or even just to stop a hacker - you have to become a hacker.

Drop hacking has been running rampid and increasingly growing in COH and has recently started to slow down. I have decided to better inform members of the steam community about this and provide them with some helpful information. Although its not relic's fault about the matter, its just the protocol which they use. Relic decided to use the UDP (User Datagram Protocol) protocol because its much easier for peers to connect to each other without little hassel of having a TCP protocol. Which is why almost anyone is able to host a game in Company of Heroes!

An Anology of these protocols would be like sending a letter to a friend

UDP- Think of UDP as you trying to give the letter to your best friend to give to another person. Most of the time your friend gives the letter to the target person but sometimes the letter never reaches the target person.
TCP- Think of TCP as your postal service, it will get the mail to the person but not as fast as your friend.

The different types of most common COH drop hacks

1. A simple program that will block an enemy player's communication to the user. The user will be able to communicate to the victim but the victim cannot communicate with the user (Example : Picture a one a way mirror)

2. The second type is a DOS (Denial of Service) Where multiple computers or one computer will take their upload speeds and flood (sending large amounts of packets to a target computer). So if a person has the max download speed of 350Kbs and you have 4 peers that each have an upload speed of 100kbs, multiply that by four and you get 400kbs which is enough data to flood the persons connection and drop them from the game.

3. Other types of cheats/hacks which disable the game (haven't been listed)

How to protect youself and lessen the chances to become a victim

Look at your opponets disputs. An average person will have 10-18% of the total games played per army result in a dispute so if you have 100 games played total you will have around 10-18 games played result in a dispute. If you play against someone who has lets say 100 games played and 55 result in disputes leave the game. Players that have high dispute recordes will most likely be drop hackers or some guy who will lag the game (which is just as bad)

How to know if your at risk of drop hack?
Generally anything 3mb and under you are at risk of a DOS/or a drop hack. So if you have DSL you will be more at risk. If you have cable or fios don't worry its just for low bandwidth users that can be affected unless its a very large DOS attack which is highly uncommon. So basically the more bandwidth you have the safer you are.

Close other non-common ports from your router/modem that you don't use.

How do I report people?
Right now a new party called Rules of Combat is dealing with COH abuse which works closely with relic online.

Where do I find the most occurrence in a drop hack?
Generally it will be in an automatch or Automatch AT. My average COH game time is about 70 hours and what I have noticed is that whenever another team is winning a majority of the time in the round there will not be any lag issues, but the moment that the team stops winning and for example loses all their units after a major deciding engaugement suddenly either a sync error or when players suddenly disconnect or puts the game into a stall is when the drop hack will happen. Most of the time it will be either one person or clan that uses it.

Notice from rvalkass:

Hey everybody, I just checked my site's URL, and in the title there was: .::Hacked by ZaidoohNet::. and have changed the places of the layers. Have anyone ever faced this kind of attacks, and by these *BLEEP group? If so, who are they and where can I find them? Also, I logged in via FTP, and I can't seem to change the site from opening like that. I haven't promoted this site so far, and I haven't even finished it yet. I tried to overwrite all the files and it finished, but the site still looked like that. I deleted the index.html file, and it's still the same. Now I just saw that all the pages are done like that(changed layers, .::Hacked by ZaidoohNet::. in the title). Do they now my account hosting(Zymic.com) password or something? And how can I fix my pages from looking like that and defend myself in future? How can other people defend from similar attacks? Thanks

ok,zymic is a two layered password protected hosting.by the way if someone hacks it,99.9% chance is there of keyloggers installed in your system.
i have experienced this trouble.i was hijacked when i was on byet.
the keylogger captures every stroke of you keyboard and steal data and can also send it to an email address over your internet connection.
when you are offline it records keystrokes and in online the logs are sent.better you use a good spyware or antikeylogger.
avg internet security is a good one.

some times it is due to virus in your system from which you are doing a hosting.check the sites for <iframe src=....>like this and be very specific for reviewing the codes you have written.

Dear friend always be consious about your passwords. You should include Upper case , lower case , numbers and special charecters in your passwords and try not to use dictionary words. So that these Hackers should not be able to guess your passwords. If you are using my sql as your database then be causious about the vulnerability also. If you want any help from me then feel free to message me.