xisto Community
flashy

Carpet, Or Wood?

You make a valid point, oh One-Who-Goes-By-Many-Numbers my compromised mind can't remember! There have been times a nice, soft carpet could have cushioned the blow from a fallen beer, wine, or spirit receptacle that might have otherwise shattered on a harder surface. Talk about alcohol abuse. But believe it or not, I have yet to experience shattered glass on a wood floor. And if you're into the whole "sustainable" thing, you can heat a wood floor with radiant heat. From what I understand, heat from the ground up is more cost efficient than the usual protocol. I'm no expert on home improvement. I'd venture to guess our resident Builder (jhaslip) would know more on the subject...

True you also forgot to add on the wood is more expensive. But I would still prefer wood O.o But that is my opion :D

Myself,I lean to an all wood floor.It's easier to clean and you don'thave to bother with loud hoovers. Maybe small carpets here and thereare alright, but wall to wall carpeting I'm not really fond of.

Yep. My vote is for hardwood. Having both, I'd just as soon rip out all the carpets because of reasons stated above. Nasty things, chemicals, jungles for unseen infestations, dust mites, animal urine, all manner of odor generators, impossible to clean... The key is to go with radiant floor heating, thus you'd have comfort on the bare feet as well as the solid surface on which to tread. Indeed, go with a stone floor if your budget allows.

I need to know peoples opinion what they would prefer - carpet or wood (or laminate)

Obviously i prefer Hardwood. I think carpeting is more high maintenance and also I just love the look of wood. I like a beautiful rug if I have anything on my wood.

For me it is a no-brainer. We have 4 dogs and getting dog-hair out of carpets is one of those things that can eat a big chunk of your life if you let it. Wood flooring solved the problem. There is one downside - acoustics. If you have a nice Hi-Fi rig and you have balanced the sound for your room with a carpet (yes, I'm talking about real audiophiles here) then you are going to be dismayed when you put wood down because your sound quality will be pants. In extreme cases (ie in large rooms with lots of hard surfaces and little in the way of damping) the result can be horrendous - short-medium reverb making any sound almost unintelligable.