xisto Community
flashy

Carpet, Or Wood?

I need to know peoples opinion what they would prefer - carpet or wood (or laminate)Me and my parents were argueing on what to put down on the floor, but obviously the parents always win and so they bought wooden flooring for the WHOLE downstairs :P Personally im a carpet lover, the softness on the feet, the warmth and dont forget the christmassy feeling at err, christmas :D

definitely HARDWOOD FLOORING i mean wood flooring looks soo soo good but you say you like the carpeting feeling why dont you put a carpet obove the wood i mean same feeling and your still getting the fine beauty of your house.

andything BUT capet. here are reasons why.1. it's a beep if you happen to spill anything on it.2. if you have a pet. well you can figure that out on your own.3. you have to have a vaccume, and have to deal with messy bags. Reasons for a Hard wood or laminate floor.1 a lot easier to keep clean. 2 the look is so much better.But there some draw backs to a hard floor too. If your home has a lot of traffic. the floor will become scuffed and scratched quicky then have to be replaced. and that is costly. So I can see why your fokes picked the carpet. Now a days everyone has to save a dollor anyway they can.

why dont you put a carpet obove the wood i mean same feeling and your still getting the fine beauty of your house.

Wait? Dont you mean a rug? Since it would be rather pointless placing a whole carpet on top, you might aswell have just got carpet in the first place :P

1. it's a beep if you happen to spill anything on it.

Well we have a kirby + shampooer :D, and i guess yeah, we have a dog and it used to pee all over the place but now thats stopped and she leaves hairs all over the place - so my mum got fed up with it and bought wood..
Edited by flashy (see edit history)

Having lived with both carpet and hardwood, I would definitely go with the later. Carpet is disgusting. It harbors every nasty thing you drag into the house, brews it all up into a foul, noxious concoction, then spews it into your breathing environment every time you walk over it, and even when you don't. And don't forget the chemical cocktail of poisons the carpet comes with straight from the factory, including my personal favorite: formaldehyde. And it's a pain in the a#s to clean. Not that you can ever really get carpet clean. If you must have carpet of some sort, why not install hardwood, then throw down a few area rugs? At least you can easily throw them out if they get too nasty. Try doing that with wall-to-wall. Given my druthers, I'd actually choose some sort of rock flooring over carpet or wood. There's a look of permanence about it that harkins back to days of castles, knights, round tables, motes, and silly people falling out of tall towers.

I like Wood:)It's more healthy and easy to clean.When carpet is dirty,it's hard to be depurated! But,there has another choice,ceramic tile,it's more easy to clean,than wood!hehe:)You could try it.It has one obvious disadvantage,when you walk on it without shoes,it's cold!Finally,i think your parents are right.Choosing wood would be better!

We got wood in our downstairs,And the dogs do the splits on it, Its too funny LOl :DYeh I would say wood also because its modern.

I like having carpet but dont get me wrong, with all the animals we have here we definately need hardwood floors. we have 3 dogs, 3 cats. 4 ferrits, and 4 rats. So I know our carpet is full of nasty germs and I wish oour landlord would give in and let us put in hardwood floors we would pay for it and do that labor just for him to knock the cost of the flooring off the rent but he will not agree. ughhhh it gets annoying I have to shampoo these carpets at least once a week and I'm getting very tired of it. I think I see a move somewhere in the near future. lol

I wish oour landlord would give in and let us put in hardwood floors we would pay for it and do that labor just for him to knock the cost of the flooring off the rent but he will not agree.

You have a true idiot for a landlord. Let's see, you're offering to foot the bill for an upgrade that will add value to HIS property, and even willing to do the labor yourself, and yet he refuses. Yup, he's an idiot. And yes, you are wise to consider a move elsewhere. May as well just buy a place this time around so you can do what you darn well please.

You have a true idiot for a landlord. Let's see, you're offering to foot the bill for an upgrade that will add value to HIS property, and even willing to do the labor yourself, and yet he refuses. Yup, he's an idiot. And yes, you are wise to consider a move elsewhere. May as well just buy a place this time around so you can do what you darn well please.

Lol he is right, The landlord must be a idiot. I would rather have my price go up on my house than having it look boring.

Lol he is right, The landlord must be a idiot. I would rather have my price go up on my house than having it look boring.

Ash-Bash, we are birds of a feather, you and I. Even when I travel hither and yon, I'm willing to pay a little extra for comfortable surroundings that nourish and inspire the human spirit. Four white walls with wall to wall germ incubation is the providence of po' white trash and nuevo rich. Lets not forget the above ground pool, junked cars, chained pit bulls, and unruly brood of unkept children. Given a choice of the later, I'd say the pit bulls hold more promise.

I am a carpet person and I tell you why, many times have wood floors and linoleum get slippery enough and you can have an accident, especially wearing socks as there is no traction. Sure I understand it is easier to clean get a mop and BAM! your done ten minutes later, but still it feels oh so comfortable if your walking in just your feet :P. Sure the compromise would be to get a rug and I could live with that as well but carpet soooo gooood :D.

I am a carpet person and I tell you why, many times have wood floors and linoleum get slippery enough and you can have an accident, especially wearing socks as there is no traction. Sure I understand it is easier to clean get a mop and BAM! your done ten minutes later, but still it feels oh so comfortable if your walking in just your feet :P. Sure the compromise would be to get a rug and I could live with that as well but carpet soooo gooood :D.

Dearest Arch Angel Michael, who am I to deny you your plush, carpeted comforts? I am currently living in a Marriott hotel suite with wall to wall carpet and it's very nice to walk on with bare feet, I must admit. Happily, someone else gets to vacuum this horrible eyesore every day! Seems Marriott decided to revamp their interior design with lots of red, red, red. I don't like red. But I now see red everywhere. There is also a kitchenette with faux stone flooring and it feels like the real thing. But if you drop a wine glass on it, it doesn't break. It's phony stone! Oh well, as long as it looks like the real thing, they can up their price tag and charge the dumb public whatever they please. I find it curious how in this manufactured economic downturn the hotel business seems to be booming with business travelers of all ilk. Don't believe everything you see on the corporate controlled media, folks. People are still out there making bank.

Carpet burn ftw :DI prefer carpet... Its a LOT more comfortable walking on, you can randomly lay down somewhere and rest regardless of where you are...Yeah, sure a wooden floor is a breeze to clean, but in the winter, that cold feeling you get when your feet touches the cold wooden floor in the early morning is REALLY annoying...Whereas with carpet, its always warm and cuddly... Even though you should get your carpet professionally washed every once in a while its worth the warm & cuddly feeling :DSo yeah... In my opinion, carpet is better :P

Carpet burn ftw :D

I prefer carpet... Its a LOT more comfortable walking on, you can randomly lay down somewhere and rest regardless of where you are...

You make a valid point, oh One-Who-Goes-By-Many-Numbers my compromised mind can't remember! There have been times a nice, soft carpet could have cushioned the blow from a fallen beer, wine, or spirit receptacle that might have otherwise shattered on a harder surface. Talk about alcohol abuse. But believe it or not, I have yet to experience shattered glass on a wood floor. And if you're into the whole "sustainable" thing, you can heat a wood floor with radiant heat. From what I understand, heat from the ground up is more cost efficient than the usual protocol. I'm no expert on home improvement. I'd venture to guess our resident Builder (jhaslip) would know more on the subject...