xisto Community
Janissary

Looking For A Decent Subtitle Editor I googled everywhere :)

Hello,I want to write my own subtitles and googled a few programs but noone of them seems to be easy enough. I mean I was using a program back then (now I forgot its name and lost the program) It has a neat feature... You can watch the movie and when you press a shortcut it adds start time for a new entry and when you press it again it adds the end timing for the same entry. So later you can return and add text to the entries.Do you know any program that can do that?

I'm guessing its for Video Editing. I would recommend for basic use, a program like Windows Movie Maker, or the equivalent of your Operating System, such as iMovie for Mac, or well I don't know for editing in Linux. I don't know how to add subtitles exactly but it seems to be easy enough, just get it from the Microsoft website, and its free if you have Windows and a legal copy of it. If you need more effects, start moving towards Sony Vegas or the Adobe Premiere Elements. Hope I helped.

I use MovieMaker for short videos but for a movie it's not practical because it burns the subtitles into the movie. I know how to do it in notepad but I just try to get rid of entering all the timing with hands. You know, 124,789th second starts 1246, 320th second ends.

By the way, I installed Aegisub, didnt like it. But now I cant uninstall, it isnt in the remove control panel or in the start up menu. But worse, during instalitain I associeted the srt files with it now ZoomPlayer cannot play them with movies.

Thanks for the answers, the quest for the ultimate program continues :)

For a movie, if you have the money, Sony Vegas is the best, do all the editing, plus subtitle effects, and more. Its not huge either. I don't want to push it but it has served me well making movies for school and for games. For basic subtitles, I really don't think there is anything that is devoted to that.

Ah, interesting topic. I tried to find such programs when i was watching japenese animes. I had translator software on my desktop for translation and i was in search of such softwares. I was recommended Jubler and Sonic foundry Vegas. BTW is there any software that can link "translator and text editor" and automate this? :P :P

@Xalor

Actully, there are many free programs whose purpose is just to edit or create subtitles. But so far, the best one i could find, gives you a time according to lenght of your entry. Still, you need to manualy scyronize it later.

I have a bigger problem now.

I installed Aegisub, didnt like it. But now I cant uninstall, it isnt in the remove control panel or in the start up menu. But worse, during instalitain I associeted the srt files with it. Now... ZoomPlayer cannot play subtitles with movies.

i got 2 words for you

CyberLink PowerDirector

grate program guarenteed

or you can try your windows movie maker in your windows xp start button and go to all programs and you will find it there.

@XalorActully, there are many free programs whose purpose is just to edit or create subtitles. But so far, the best one i could find, gives you a time according to lenght of your entry. Still, you need to manualy scyronize it later.

I have a bigger problem now.

Do the following: go to a folder ->Settings->Folder Options->Filetypes. Search the subs filetype and change it. Else, try with right click over the sub file, click open with, and if I'm not wrong making it open with the notepad will make it work (at least works for me). Tell me if it worked for you.

Thank you... yes, I did "open with notepad, always" so it's no longer associated with Aegisub but it didnt solved the problem.

But i figured it out. There is actully a pluging which allows all the media players to automaticly shows subtitles and Aegisub broke that somehow. I reinstalled the pluging and problem solved.

To display subtitles in video files you can use VobSub. Install VobSub and name the subtitle file the same as the video file (not the extention). Now subtitles will appear in MediaPlayer, ZoomPlayer etc!

Thank you everyone, at last I dont have to install BsPlayer :)