xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
whyme

Photoshop Tutorial A Realistic Sun

Well, Once Again, I present another tutorial, this time, credit goes to Nathan Ng. Let's begin:

***TO SEE HOW IT LOOKS LIKE, SCROLL TO THE BOTTOM OF THE TUTORIAL***

Tutorial: A Realistic Sun

STEP 1:

Start a new document about 800x800. We will intially make it large, then scale it down. It looks better that way.

- Create a new layer.

- Then use the eliptical marquee tool, and while holding down shift, create a circle selection. Make the selection almost as big as your canvas.

Posted Image

STEP 2:

- Fill the selection with black.

- Now go to Filter >Render >Difference Clouds

- Press CTRL+F two more times to reapply the filter.

Posted Image

STEP 3:

Then go to Image> Adjustments >Levels.

Move the center and right slider towards the left, something similar to mine below:

Posted Image

STEP 4:

Now go to Filter >Sharpen >Unsharp Mask

Amount: 500%

Radius: 3.0

Threshold: 15

Posted Image

STEP 5:

Now go to Filter->Distort->Spherize:

Amount: 100%

Then Filter->Distort->Spherize again, but this time:

Amount: 50%

Posted Image

STEP 6:

Then go to Image >Adjustments >Color Balance

Apply the following color levels:

Shadows: +100 | 0 | -100

Midtones: +100 | 0 | -100

Highlights: +70 | 0 | -15

Also, you can use the Hue & Saturation to colorize your sun.

Posted Image

STEP 7:

Now sharpen the image again. Filter >Sharpen >Unsharp Mask.

Amount: 300%

Radius: 3

Threshold: 15

CTRL+D to deselect

Finished! You should have something more or less like this:

Posted Image

ALSO: You can add in Stars from my previous tutorial, and then makea lyaer glow to get this effect:

Posted Image

I hope you enjoed this tutorial. More tutorials to come soon. If you have any questions or comments about this tutorai, please PM me.

-whyme

Thats looks nice, good job and good tut. You could prolly use that in a game if you wanted to its soo good. I even made artificial concreate one time myself lol, but that was an accident. :P

Whoa, I used basically the same technique to make my colored "ornaments" a few months back...probably around December if I remember correctly. But yours is a bit different towards the end cause its like, made to have those sun spots and stuff. Mine was just made to be...shiny and smooth. >_> But that's still really awesome. It's absolutely amazing how super real it looked....now if only it had those solar flare..sort of "moving arms" coming off the side...that would be so totally awesome. I love it.So pretty! :P

Wow that is looking very good! I like the way you used to create that sun. The final product of the sun in the stars with the realistic glow is amazing...Overall great tutorial! :P

Very nice! For a sun on earth, I take a very light yellow and use the soft rounded brush and make it so it's about 200 px (or whatever) wide and blot it on a seperate layer, and then apply layer effects/textures if necessary. An example of this would be:

Posted Image

Which is a very VERY simple sun and uses the grass texture. I have another one with a premade brush, but I'll have to go sift through about a year's worth of photoshop tests to find it :D