xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
JaVe

Formatted And Reinstalled My Pc... within 2 hours...

Within 2 hours i just formatted my pc, installed Linspire (linux os), formatted again and installed windows 2003. Why? I bought a wireless pci card (asus wl-138G) - i thought it would be compatible with linux, my usb isn't, neither is most usb devices, they're all made for windows. but i just liked to try linux with internet but it best works with plain ol' ethernet, but i don't want a network of wires. I quickly came to my conclusion and remembered; how am i going to 'play' adobe or 3ds max? So back windows goes, it's so much more simple, i'm not gonna clutter my computer and it feels refreshed. All i have to do is install the sound card and video card, plus some other things. And i got the internet working! I'm just not bothered or ready yet for linux; windows = 1000x easier. :P

I don't see any point for going to Linux operating system at the moment, I have already tried it and must say it is darn good operational system, but I didn't see any operational value for me, since lot of software I use is coded for Windows only. Like poster before me have mentioned, Linux is for Webhost, for ordinary user I would recommend plain Windows XP, since lot of newer programs is coded for XP only :D (like Adobe PhotoShop CS) and some of hardware can be a problem too, but it is all matter of taste.

There are a ton of free alternative programs under Linux that mimick the functionality of popular Windows/Mac programs:

- Blender = 3D modeling program

- GIMP = Adobe PhotoShop

- OpenOffice = Microsoft Office

The only problem that I run into going for different programs is that you have to learn how to use different programs when you have the more inciting option of just sticking with Windows.

I have Linux on this PC that I'm typing from but I rarely use it because I'm too lazy to learn up the operating system, the programs, and even booting into it. (For some reason, Kubuntu 7.04 seems to take a slightly longer boot time than Windows XP. Not by much, though.)

As for network driver support, Linux is pretty good in automatically detecting devices and making it a seamless, worry-free deal for most users. However, if it doesn't find your wireless network card, you CAN use ndiswrapper to get a Windows driver to work. It took me a while to figure out how to use it, and I finally got it working... only to change from my Linspire distro to Kubuntu later, which automatically-detected my network controller anyway. :o

And did we mention that you can emulate the Windows environment and its programs using 'nix alternatives like Wine?

I really have to get off my butt and learn that OS...