xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
rayzoredge

Hdtv Or Dedicated Monitor? W

All right, so here's the deal:Nowadays, we have HDTVs with computer inputs like VGA, and computers have video cards that now support HDMI outputs. If you think about it, you can hook up a reasonably-equipped rig to a screen larger than your average computer monitor... and it seems like you can save some dough this way too.With this thinking, I'm wondering if it's a hardware-wise decision to actually see about getting an HDTV for a computer. Of course, you have to take into consideration HDMI/DVI/alternative audio inputs and outputs, but if you've got the connectivity, why not? What are the pros and cons of having an HDTV over a monitor, or vice versa? I know that there are things to consider like a "minimum" refresh rate of 8ms for LCDs (with lower being better), and there's the worries with having adapters to convert DVI-to-HDMI (which doesn't make sense to do, quality-wise), and whatnot. And I'm sure that a dedicated computer monitor may still be the way to go. From what I figure, 720p is good enough for a resolution considering that if you get a decent size HDTV, you'll still be less than 6' away from it, and if you decide to go larger, you'll still be at a somewhat-optimal distance for 720p but not enough to actually fork over the money for 1080p (since you literally won't notice the difference... unless you sit that closely to your display).What are your thoughts on doing this? Would you go for an HDTV or a dedicated computer monitor?

It really depends on what you want to do. Monitors are known for generally being better quality, especially at larger sizes hence the larger price tag. They usually have better response times, better contrast ratios, and a lot slimmer profile. If you need a really big monitor, an HDTV is definitely the way to go. However, if you really need the quality, go with a monitor (unless you get a really good HDTV, but that wouldn't be cost efficient). Or get both :P

I would choose the monitor for the computer, I have red that HDTV can be really slow when doing a lot of tasks at the same time, and for me personally, I wouldn't be able to work on a screen that big, It would kill my eyes, I have pretty sensible eyes too much light too close for me... :P

I would choose the monitor for the computer, I have red that HDTV can be really slow when doing a lot of tasks at the same time, and for me personally, I wouldn't be able to work on a screen that big, It would kill my eyes, I have pretty sensible eyes too much light too close for me... :P

well really would depend on your computer. with these new quad cores and these bigger and faster processors are it really shouldnt matter that much. So if it was me, and I had a fast enough computer HD all the way.

Link to interesting article and discussion/commentary

I've hooked up my laptop to TVs before and for the most part, text is fuzzy and nothing really comes out clearly. But the article I linked above makes sense as to why you would still go for an HDTV as opposed to forking over extra cash for a monitor of the same size... to some extent.

There are TVs out there that match or better the response times of similar monitors, and some setups where people have their televisions hooked up to their video game consoles, PCs, AND have them for movies and regular watching seems like a pretty cool gig. It would be kind of neat to be able to have a 30"-42" HDTV to be able to play your games or surf the web using a wireless keyboard and mouse setup and be able to literally kick back and do your work with that much real estate, once you've gotten everything optimally set, of course.

The trend I'm seeing with HDTVs, though, is that the resolutions they support are slightly inferior to what video cards can put out, which would be why a PC's output would seem fuzzy with text and whatnot. But I think it could be worth the pros and cons.