xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
DeM0nFiRe

"similar Topics" Module This is a bug, I suppose

So I was looking at the similar topics piece for a thread I was on, and I noticed 2 things.The first thing may not be worth fixing, but it's not all that effective at determining what is related. For a thread about Circuit City, the top matched result was a thread about GTA Vice City. (Yeah, it matched the city which is kind of funny)The second thing should be able to be fixed pretty easily. That same GTA Vice City result I got was from 5 years ago! 0_0 I think it'd be nice if you just added filter to make it from, say, the past 90 days.

Yeah really, that might help with all those really old topics from years ago that keep getting drudged up by people trying to raise their post count. Especially those with nothing to contribute. I usually ignore those topics because they are so old. I think it's better to stay with the more up-to-date posts. You get the people who are active and actually use the information rather then people who aren't around anymore.

So I was looking at the similar topics piece for a thread I was on, and I noticed 2 things.
The first thing may not be worth fixing, but it's not all that effective at determining what is related. For a thread about Circuit City, the top matched result was a thread about GTA Vice City. (Yeah, it matched the city which is kind of funny)

The second thing should be able to be fixed pretty easily. That same GTA Vice City result I got was from 5 years ago! 0_0 I think it'd be nice if you just added filter to make it from, say, the past 90 days.

i saw the same thing too and i think the reason it does that is because the titles have the words city in them. that can be fixed; they should just make it based on tags when some words match in the tags that when it should be considered similar topics.

yah it would also be even better if it could differentiate new topics from old topics too.

Yep, it's funny because most of the posts that appear in the similar topic part are from years ago ones even from 2004 :S, and you are not suppose to bring up old topics so it's a really useless part, only one or two out of the probably ten that appears are recent ones.

I noticed that too, but it's not a bug, I guess it's only based on regex searching of the same word. :P

Actually, I don't care if people bring up old posts (well only if the discussion can continue and it's not old news but something that can be discussed for a long time) because they get myCents out of it and old threads can be revived. Sometimes, just for the heck of it, I do that too :P

i saw the same thing too and i think the reason it does that is because the titles have the words city in them. that can be fixed; they should just make it based on tags when some words match in the tags that when it should be considered similar topics.

But people need to be more active in tagging, because as I have noticed only I and Saint_Michael tag threads :P

yah it would also be even better if it could differentiate new topics from old topics too.

This idea is much better, I like it and I'm supporting it if it's possible :D

There arn't much "better" ways to doing the Similar topics. It would be better maybe if the similar topics also were grabbed out of the same sub forum/parent forum, to keep the information more.... relevant... Maybe if when you create a topic, you also have a list of tags to choose from, then similar topics can use those tags to help relate things.

Yes.That module seems to gather together some weird similiar threads,bu generally I think it's allright. I don't think the filter should just be from the last ninety days.Theres probably a lot of old threads which would be interesting torevisit.At least Xisto forums have a good variety of interesting subjects.Not like some other forums where every post is about your favorite computer game or xp verse vista.