xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Echo_of_thunder

Vista To Xp Down grade anyone?

Okay tonight I was talking with a friend of mine who uses Window's Vista, and is starting to hate it due to drivers. He has one of them there Dinky Dells. Bought with Vista. he has been fighting trying to get all his drivers for his radio show and studio webcam going and all. Well I said to him why cant you just uninstall that Beep Vista. he told me nope Dell says no you can't do that. I happen to have read this the night before. Vista to XP Downgrade and sent him the link. He was like, Thoughs schucks at dell said no way. That just goes to show you. Put some trust into google searches lol and never listen to some tech support. most are untrained and just reading from a book they are given the day they started working.

There may still be drivers that you can't find for XP though. I've ran into that with a few PC's. Just like there are things that work with Vista and not XP.So really it just depends on your PC's parts, and yes, the companies(Dell, HP, etc.) will try to talk you out of downgrading.

There may still be drivers that you can't find for XP though. I've ran into that with a few PC's. Just like there are things that work with Vista and not XP.
So really it just depends on your PC's parts, and yes, the companies(Dell, HP, etc.) will try to talk you out of downgrading.

just like some internet companey's I know too. lol but yes that is the downside of downgrading. but and I could be wrong if you have your divers you need on a CD once you install windowns it will look for these drivers, will ask for a location D: or F: drive wouldnt it? I would think you could do that? but then again too XP may not also like some of these newer pc with that ne AMD 64 which I think he has but unsure.

Of course you can install drivers from CD's, but my point was you made it sound like his PC was a pre-made...My HP's for example don't come with driver cd's, so if I can find them I can burn them to CD's, but there enlies the issues. Some parts don't have Vista support because they are older.For example, my current PC I can run everything on Vista 32 bit but Vista 64 bit won't work with my Wifi card. It's because nobody ever made drivers for them.Another wifi card I have has drivers for XP, but they never made Vista compatible ones, so it's impossible to run it via Vista.Edit : And some of them go the opposite way as well. There are Vista items that won't work with the previous OS(XP) due to incompatibilities and/or lack of drivers too.

Edited by rpgsearcherz (see edit history)

Yea, I downgraded one of my laptops from vista to xp a while ago..that was fun :P Xp happened to be missing drivers for my wifi card, so i couldn't go online to get the drivers.. :P It was like, ur car runs out of gas, and you need the gas to get to the station to get gas :PSo I had to use another computer to download the wifi driver and burn it to a CD. Then finally having internet i could download drivers for my soundcard, card reader, etc.. It was a fun journey...

For the most part, "downgrading" is not impossible with Vista to XP and XP to Vista, considering that a simple Google search coupled with hours of forum perusal can land you a frustrating but somewhat satisfying experience.I remember having downgraded my friend's laptop from Vista to XP. Just about everything worked driver-wise... except for the network card, which was quite a doozy to go without. I spent a total of two hours scrounging forums and sites looking for a fix... and I was finally rewarded with a backwards way of making her Atheros wireless card work in her Dell. In a way, it was a good experience because now I know there are hidden devices that aren't shown normally in Device Manager. :P If you have the time and you've got some tech-savviness under your belt, I would always recommend going to XP just because of my bias with Vista. But if Vista works for your machine, it would hurt much less to suffer through my personal grovels about the operating system than it is to spend hours for the possibility of being able to run XP flawlessly... or the possibility that your research, time, and effort will turn up fruitless.Remember: If tech support says that you can't do something, they're giving up on you. The only thing that tech support is good for (as far as Dell goes, anyway) are the super-secret-squirrel key combinations and shortcuts that Dells have for diagnostics and quick-fixes. (HP has been good to me with the one time I did call for recovery discs. :P )And a note on drivers: You can always download them from the manufacturer's website, and some of them offer Vista and XP drivers in the case you need to move up or down in the OS chain.

well I talked again with my friend last night. He told me he has decided to trash Vista all together and return to XP.reasons being that (1) too hard to find the drivers that he must have for all his equipment. Cams sound board and everything. reason (2) was he got the word of windows-7 now out in beta. He felt as I do that Vista was all for show and tell of the new windows 7.

well I talked again with my friend last night. He told me he has decided to trash Vista all together and return to XP.
reasons being that (1) too hard to find the drivers that he must have for all his equipment. Cams sound board and everything. reason (2) was he got the word of windows-7 now out in beta. He felt as I do that Vista was all for show and tell of the new windows 7.

The true fact about Vista is that its not for show. Its a piece of new technology OS that was made to create a transition from XP to next gen OS. Like what i mention in other related threads, such incident reflects to what happened to Apple when they try to release OS X to OS 9 devotees.

From my experience, Dell tend to use taiwan / china based chips / chipset for their laptop and the drivers usually is broken or lack of frequent update for the latest OS. I have friends who willing to void the warranty and to have me covered the maintenance and support for their laptop and have me to install OEM XP.

Still, we cannot blame the OS since the fault goes to the makers of the specific chip / hardware for not writing up-to-date drivers for their products.

hiiiiiiiiii.........only one thng xp is cool its a gud os....but nt so secure as much as ubuntu......ubuntu rocks yaar.....u can order ubuntu for free,,,,,so enjoy and try itand plz mil me and gimme ur feedback.....]thank you very muchfor further assistence contact me....rite2alok@gmail.comortestingpirakx@gmail.com