xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Echo_of_thunder

Old Farmer's Almanac Truth or not?

Well this morning what did I find in my E mail but a letter with a link to Old Farmer's Almanac with there weather forcasts. Low and behold they are say for my area. New Jersey. Area # 2 a Hurricane in Aug. Yes New Jersey is due but how can someone like the Famers Almanac predict something like this so far ahead? They can't really and to say a hurricane? That to me is inviting trouble for them. even with a disclaimer so many people may read that and panic, Link to it here. Farmer's Alamanac

What are the thoughst here of the Almanac? Do you ever read it, listen to what they say or do you think its a load of Bleep
I have to admit I have read it and do. They can be very close sometimes. Like this winter they predicted a early snow for my area and we had flurries in Oct. Makes me wonder if they know more than the weather service.

Apparantly this farmers almanac has been around since the early19th century and it's reputation is apparantlypretty good. I just read that they claim an 80-85 per cent accuracy rate.So this hurricane warning is a little disturbing. They do claim to use elaborate mathematical formulas to calculate the weather,although this method has always been held secret.I'd just wait and see.Theres nothing else you can do.

First of all, that pages' background.. WOW! It really is annoying, and I wonder how could they choose the yellow color. Ugh. My eyes! :P

As I don't live in the US or Canada I can't know how accurate they are, I just think that it isn't too hard to believe because it's all scientific and according to a formula, if what networker said was right (and I believe him). :P

ps. Do you know of anything similar for Europe? :P

Edited by miladinoski (see edit history)

First of all, that pages' background.. WOW! It really is annoying, and I wonder how could they choose the yellow color. Ugh. My eyes! :P

As I don't live in the US or Canada I can't know how accurate they are, I just think that it isn't too hard to believe because it's all scientific and according to a formula, if what networker said was right (and I believe him). :P

ps. Do you know of anything similar for Europe? :P

You could always google it. really do not know any anything other than for here in the US and Canada. if you find one though please post it. Love seeing it myself.

I've never heard of the Farmer's Almanac. I'm checking out the site now though.I will keep up with it over a period of time and see how accurate it really is.As for their little statement about how they don't think anything happens spontaneously...I kind of agree with that, to a point.If weathermen can predict things a week before they happen(tornadoes, storms, etc.) then it's pretty obvious that there are many signs that precede the events. The trick is learning what they are and how to interpret them.Based on what I'm reading though, it's not too accurate for January. It says Jan. 1-7th in my area should be a record cold, and rainy. There has been no rain near us for quite a while, and it's been burning outside.

I've never heard of the Farmer's Almanac. I'm checking out the site now though.
I will keep up with it over a period of time and see how accurate it really is.

As for their little statement about how they don't think anything happens spontaneously...I kind of agree with that, to a point.

If weathermen can predict things a week before they happen(tornadoes, storms, etc.) then it's pretty obvious that there are many signs that precede the events. The trick is learning what they are and how to interpret them.

Based on what I'm reading though, it's not too accurate for January. It says Jan. 1-7th in my area should be a record cold, and rainy. There has been no rain near us for quite a while, and it's been burning outside.

Well I have been doing the same, and it is pretty close. off by maybe a week or so. but close. they had said would would have a very cold snap in late Dec with some snow. we had it. As for the weatherman preciting things a week in advance. they really can't so to say. if you will say pick a location and look at there 7 day forcast and watch the 7th day until that day happend's you will see it will change. It is the same with the models that the weather service use's. they get updated ever 6 hours. But what I would like to really know is this formula that the farmer's almanac has. why hasn't the NWS got a hold of this if they are so good. It may save a life. if they can precect a hurricane that far ahead. why can't the weather service or the hurricane center.

Well I have been doing the same, and it is pretty close. off by maybe a week or so. but close. they had said would would have a very cold snap in late Dec with some snow. we had it. As for the weatherman preciting things a week in advance. they really can't so to say. if you will say pick a location and look at there 7 day forcast and watch the 7th day until that day happend's you will see it will change. It is the same with the models that the weather service use's. they get updated ever 6 hours. But what I would like to really know is this formula that the farmer's almanac has. why hasn't the NWS got a hold of this if they are so good. It may save a life. if they can precect a hurricane that far ahead. why can't the weather service or the hurricane center.

Yeah...It is accurate. I didn't know this(as it's nice and warm inside) but the past couple days it has been freezing(30's and 40's).

So I guess it's not a complete lie, :P.

I just haven't been out anywhere in a couple days so I assumed it was still hot.

Well I have talked a friend of mine into having the editor for the Famer's Alamac on his radio talk show. Date is set to be Jan 14th at 8PM eastern time sorry do not know what that would be in the UK. you can listen to this show on WRBN.net Bob also has a toll free number for people in the US to call if you have any questions for his guest. about the almanac.