xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
rpgsearcherz

Joomla Issues Article options keep pushing off the page

Well here is another one for joomla. Its also Ajax based shoutbox. Try the free version. You have to register(free) at that website to download it. I just downloaded it but haven't tried it yet. Give it a try.. Here is the link...Ajax Shoutbox
All The Best. :P

Awesome, thanks for that. I'll try it out in a while. First of all I need to learn how the various "locations" work in Joomla. Like top/bottom/etc. For some reason Header never shows up with anything at all, for example.

I did try out a couple chat things though, but so far none mesh well with the site, mostly due to my ignorance I guess.

What exactly is Ajax though? Some things pretty much brag about being Ajax based.

What exactly is Ajax though? Some things pretty much brag about being Ajax based.

AJAX stands for Asynchronous Javascript And XML. It is a combination of web technologies like Javascript and XML. It adds power to web applications to work like desktop applications. You don't have to reload the entire page to see a slight change in the page. Take Google maps,Gmail and Google chat etc....they are ajax based sites. You'll see the real time changes in them without reloading the page...thats the power of Ajax. Google for Ajax and you'll find plenty of information and sites about it. :P

AJAX stands for Asynchronous Javascript And XML. It is a combination of web technologies like Javascript and XML. It adds power to web applications to work like desktop applications. You don't have to reload the entire page to see a slight change in the page. Take Google maps,Gmail and Google chat etc....they are ajax based sites. You'll see the real time changes in them without reloading the page...thats the power of Ajax. Google for Ajax and you'll find plenty of information and sites about it. :P

Awesome! As weird as this is going to sound, that's stuff I've always wanted to do.

You should see the sites I was making in the past. To save on bandwidth, I always framed up my site. It kept it from having to refresh the entire thing.

So Ajax would be like setting up frames on a site and having only a certain framed window actually refresh, right?(In my case, I had the nav bar and banner in a top 20% frame, site in bottom 80%, with only the bottom ever changing).

I've had that problem a little bit, and the cause was mostly a new post with a .swf's on it (and other posts already had some big ones, so too many big .swf's caused the broken layout). Obviously the solution was to not have too many .swf's on the same page :Prpgsearcherz => If you really want to save on bandwidth, you should google for html optimization. There are some pieces of software that will do this for you, and pages to explain most of the tricks that can be used, such as mod_rewrite to shorten hyperlinks and having meta tags only displaying to spiders and not normal web-browsers.

About mod-rewrite, I've seen that in relation to forum options and stuff. Is that how you write real clean addresses, like the ones on these forums?(like 2-3 words from title + .html)

Back to needing Joomla help again. This time, it's regarding embedding videos from places like Youtube.I got the first one to work, and apparently over the past 2 days I've screwed something up. I can no longer link videos, but other stuff works fine.I have tried video embedding - linking the youtube videoI have tried direct HTML pastingNow what's weird is that if I preview the page, everything looks as it should. I can even play the video using the preview.But as soon as I click Save or Update, it wipes the video from the page.Any ideas as to what is causing that issue?It does it with Flash, youtube, and I'm assuming other things as well. Pictures still work perfect.

I'm going to guess that's the filter for HTML tags from the newest revision of Joomla (1.5.8). Basically, for user-groups that are on the blacklist, certain HTML elements will be filtered out, such as frame, embed, and script.You need to add your user group to the whitelist from the parameters of the Article Manager in the admin CP (scroll down to the bottom), or alternatively blacklist the other groups. I think that is how it works, but it was some time ago that I last mucked with this.

Edited by Nabb (see edit history)

Just whitelisted all groups to try. Still no luck. It still shows the videos when I am in "Preview" mode but deletes it all after I post.Edit : I got it. You have no idea how grateful I am to you. I have searched everywhere. I have asked many website devs and others who work with Joomla, and nobody had ever seen an issue like that before.Seriously, thanks a lot!Edit 2 : The first thing I did was whitelist all groups, which was when I posted that it still didn't work. Then I whitelisted just the admins(myself) and that's what fixed it.

Edited by rpgsearcherz (see edit history)