xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Bluebear

How To Enable Wildcard Subdomains?

Topic title describes itself, I suppose. Someone already explained to me what it is, but what I need to know is how I can enable wildcard subdomains. Hope it is not too complicated.

I would love to hear this as well, but also can you go more in depth and explain like how to script them?A site in question would be xxx.isgay.comIf you put "Bob.isgay.com" it would use his name in the script, for example.I would love to learn how to create these, if possible.

Well I really need them so if it is not possible then I would freak out, I have worked "a lot" with this so it would be terrible if I had to start all over with something new. :P

Out of curiosity, what are you trying to use the wildcard domains for?

She once said that she was planning to open up a blog on 4 different languages so I guess that's why she asked for help :P
Am I right Bluebear?

But how would wildcarding the domain help with that? Why not just put out 4 different sub-domains for it?Or do you mean a script that automatically translates it to the various languages? Like if you go to http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ it would show it in English, if you did http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ it would auto translate to French, etc.?

Well automatic translations never, ever turn out 100% correct. I want to do this on my own translations - and I think it would help me improving my language skills in some of the languages. Also, I have still not come across a translator that translates into Nynorsk. (I have said it a 100 times it is Norwegian, but the mostly used version of Norwegian is Bokm?l.) I am a newb when it comes to these things, I asked on another forum because my wordpress on one of my subdomains did not work, and the response I received was: "Have you enabled wildcard subdomains?"I need it for something in wordpress. I am not the right person to ask when it comes to WHAT I need it for or WHY I need it.

Ah, I see where you're coming from now. And thanks for that information. I've ran into similar issues before where people ask "why?" and I don't know how to answer, :P.

Never mind, just going to send in a support ticket. Thanks anyway.

Edited by Bluebear (see edit history)

if you have CPanel installed (linux system) you can easily add a wildcard subdomain thru the subdomain management page.

on my development machine, I use Windowz, PHP and Apache. What I do to achieve this is to add these couple of lines +additional entries on the hosts file

<VirtualHost *:80> ServerName topleveldomain.Com ServerAlias *.Topleveldomain.Com DocumentRoot "c:pathtomydomainwebroot/"</VirtualHost>

I use PHP as my scripting language and usually dissect the subdomain part from the $_SERVER['HTTP_HOST'] global variable. I can also filter if 'bad' subdomains from a list from the database.

I also make use of the .Htaccess file to manage redirections if ever I have many apps running from one domain name - e.G.

app2.Topleveldomain.Com points to app2/ folder

topleveldomain.Com points to main/ folder

and all other domains are handled by the index.Php itself. 

hope this helps

-reply by Author Name - e.G. John, MikeKeywords: windows host wildcard subdomain