xisto Community
Bluebear

Wordpress Problem

I have created four subdomains. Four different languages or versions of a language. So there will be one blog for each language. The problem is that I am wondering if I should install one wordpress on each subdomain - so each language will have its own, or if I should just have one and post from there. (I am not used to Wordpress so I do not know if that is possible at all. It did work to have one when I used CuteNews.) I am not sure how much space that would take, I have one Wordpress installed now and it says that no more than 1% of my allowed space is being used. 9.18% of 1000MB. Any suggestions?

is this a school project where you need to have four different language versions of your site, and you need to make a good translation for each?

if not, why not just use a wordpress plugin? it could be easier to simply activate one plugin and let it do the translation on the fly. try Global Translator if it fits the bill (you get not just four languages, but thirty-four! :P hopefully, of those 34, the four you choose are included :P).

No, it is not a school project. I doubt a translator would work, I have tried something similar before, and the translated text looked horrible. It was so grammatically incorrect that... well, it was bad. I do not know if the link you provided includes Nynorsk. There are two versions of Norwegian; Nynorsk and Bokm?l. I suppose it has Bokm?l, most people write Bokm?l so that is not weird at all. I know that it would be a lot of mess if I created one Wordpress for each of the four - but when you have a multilingual website it will probably be messy anyway.

i suppose an automatic translation will not do for you then. you can try Wordpress MU if you want. :P that's a multiuser wordpress so you just need one installation. which leaves you free to concentrate on your 4-language blog versions, without needing to worry about individually implementing upgrades when the time comes.

Thank you, I am trying to install it now and to figure out how it works... I will see how it turns out. :P

Bluebear,I am in a similar situation: I have a bilingual website, and I am experimenting with Wordpress at the moment, and once the test phase is done I will then launch the 'face lifted' website, and I will then also be able to give you further instructions.however, what i want to post here is somewhat off topic, but I noticed something that causes me some concern:I clicked on the link to your website underneath your post, and then i saw it just displays a list of files that are on your site.I might be wrong here, but are you not exposing your site to potential hackers?I am certainly not competent enough to do something to your work, and maybe some more knowledgeable people than me here on the forum would say I have it wrong (I really hope so), but the best thing to do is to create a file in your public_html folder called 'index.html' or 'index.htm', with links on it to your other pages.That way, when someone visits your site, they will not just be greeted by a directory showing the files that are on your website.I am not trying to scare you here, or trying to cause a panic, and as said earlier, other people might, and I hope they do, say I am wrong, but prevention is still better than cure, don't you think?

^ Haha, yes I know that. As said in the shoutbox I messed up the Wordpress, installed it wrongly and I ended up deleting many files in my directories. My internet connection is kind of terrible at the moment so I had chance to fix it last night.

Edited by Bluebear (see edit history)

Yes, I have seen you have amended your homepage now.Better to do it like it is now than exposing your whole file structure to the whole world.Hopefully you will be able to start the full whack pretty soon.I certainly wish you the best of luck with it.Keep up the good work.

Instead of creating four subdomains and then giving wordpress installer path to these subdomains for installation.It's good to try plugins instead as it will save lot of diskspace for you(even though you've 1GB logic plan :P ) You can try these translator plugins:

1) Nothing2Hide Translator Plugin :- Supports norvegian

2) IcanLocalize: You're looking for something like this i guess. Check

3) Tarangana Plugin : Compatible with current version 2.7 But it is commercial not freeware. Check it supports norvegian.

I didn't find the plugin that supports other 2 languages you mentioned. If you want yo can put Babelfish/Google Translate button on your wordpress blog.

My friend tried multilingual blogging with wordpress, but he faced lot of problems as local language is not supported and was having lot of Font issues so he switched to Commercial blogging software that allowed him to blog with local language.

Once again; There are TWO versions of Norwegian; Bokm?l and Nynorsk. Both are Norwegian, they are just slightly different. From my experience no translator translates long texts completely correct, so I doubt it would work. Right?