xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Saint_Michael

Woman Sued For Rescue Effort In Car Crash

I just saw this article today and it is really sad and that all the blame is going to the wrong person in this case. It should be the driver who was most likely drinking as well that caused the accident but odds are this woman needs someone to blame and so she is blaming someone who rescued her. I know I wasn't there and didn't know what happen besides what was told the article but whatever the outcome a lot more people are going to lose their lives because no one will rescue them in fear of being sued, especially if a house was caught on fire and that person who was rescued could sue saying you cause the fire and junk like that. Either way the woman's anger is being directed to the wrong person but sadlhy greed caught her eye when some crooked lawyer saw the opportunity for easy money.

SOURCE

http://abcnews.go.com/TheLaw/story?id=6498405&page=1

I know what you're saying S_M. If people are scared of being sued , no-one will get rescued . Even the emergency services could start getting careful , like reading out rights before rescuing them :-/. That woman would have most certainly drowned or suffered some other sort of grisly end. Despicable manipulation of Human Impulse and Kindness

I know what you're saying S_M. If people are scared of being sued , no-one will get rescued . Even the emergency services could start getting careful , like reading out rights before rescuing them :-/. That woman would have most certainly drowned or suffered some other sort of grisly end. Despicable manipulation of Human Impulse and Kindness

So true, and honest I do not blame them one bit at all. With how everyone is Sue Sue Sue now a days, I would honestly be scared to help myself. It's sad but true. The world is not like it used to be when anybody would go out of there way to help his or her fellow man or woman. Now everyone is scared Bleepless to help out. I even know some people that went down to Texas right after hurricane Ike to try and help and was turned away because the city of Galviston and the state of texas was scared to be sued.

I saw that on the news as well. It just amazes me at how people can just toss around people who try to help them like that. There was one person a while back who sued because he said that he should have died in the situation, and then he was saved and had to live as a cripple. Pretty much the same as that woman, but different reasoning.I think the issue is that Americans in general favor the idea of making easy money. There are so many people who sue over small things, solely because they hear "You can become a millionaire easy!" Think about the lady that sued Mcdonalds because she spilled hot coffee on herself.Or another sad, but real example is the woman suing because "Mcdonalds made" her son fat. She claimed the advertising and stuff portrayed the restaurant as being a great place to go, therefore her child "made" her take him.

Wow, who would've thought she would get sued for trying to help her friend like that. It's true, today's society is based so much around the courts. Anything goes wrong and the first stop is a lawyers office.These cases of emergency rescues are a touchy issue. With news like this around who is going to be a good samaritan and help out voluntarily? i'd certainly think twice.Hopefully cases like these are rare :?.

The way it is in Australia that i learned (as a first aider) is that if I would declare I was a first aider and then NOT render assistance that I would be negligent by law. If I do not offer help then I am not.For a passer by if they render assistance and an injury occurs then they may be sued.I was told this has rarely being upheld in any court in Australia.It seems a bit of a grey area here.I guess in other countries they sue for anything and that is a reflection of their society.Some people are just stupid. If someone tried to rescue me I would be grateful.I have already made up my mind to be a hero if the need should arise and offer any help I can.It's better to be sued for doing the right thing than the wrong thing :)KJ

Oh dear Lord, how can things like this happen?! :P

Instead of just saying a single, a single Thank You or even saying nothing at all to that ungrateful **** who does want to be rescued, but after careful 'thinking' and 'reasoning' doesn't wan.., on the other hand she does..n't, but wait!...

Comical?

More like tragicomic to me.

The way it is in Australia that i learned (as a first aider) is that if I would declare I was a first aider and then NOT render assistance that I would be negligent by law.
If I do not offer help then I am not.

For a passer by if they render assistance and an injury occurs then they may be sued.

I was told this has rarely being upheld in any court in Australia.

It seems a bit of a grey area here.

I guess in other countries they sue for anything and that is a reflection of their society.

Some people are just stupid. If someone tried to rescue me I would be grateful.

I have already made up my mind to be a hero if the need should arise and offer any help I can.

It's better to be sued for doing the right thing than the wrong thing :P

KJ

In the US it goes even farther than that.

If you have your first aid certification then even if you *don't* admit it you would still be held liable for not helping.

If you have your first aid certification and you DO help(because if you didn't it would be your fault) and they die, even if it is from something that you had no control over, you are still put at fault.

That law just really...It traps those who have gotten their first aid certifications. It is more or less saying "If you don't help me, I'll sue you. If you do help me, I'll still sue you. Either way, you lose!"

I find it just ridiculous how they set that up.

I, for one, am quite happy that I can not be held liable for anyone, as I am not certified.

As far as some things I heard, even passerby's can be held liable if they don't *attempt* to help as well. And again, if you do help and the person ends up "worse"(living instead of dead is "worse" I guess) then it's also your fault.

These are things that yet again prove that our country is run solely on the thought of money. Were it not to be, we would not be in a state where we say "Hm, if I can get money out of you, I'll do whatever it takes. Thanks for saving my life, but screw you, your money belongs to me now!"

I still can't quite understand that mindset. If someone was to save my life, I would be forever in their debt. Not the other way around.

The scariest part about it is that so many people are hearing about these stories, that are true, I wonder what would happen if I was put in a situation where I could live or die depending on whether or not someone helped me. If these laws keep going on like this, I would be dead there with a guy thinking "If I save him, he may sue me."

The sad part is that it's not even an "extreme" example. It's something that is going to happen more and more as time goes along if the issue isn't fixed.

I can't say I agree with the trail, but those giving help must remember to think before they act. And most important act only if you know what you are doing. There are situations where you can do more damage. I haven't taken many emergency care lessons, but every time I was remembered not to act if I don't know what to do. It's better to standby and let someone else who knows what he should do. There is a moral issue here. How can the "Good Samaritan" live with what he/she has done. He/She could blame themselves for the rest of the life. It's a nightmare to live with a guilty conscious. We must remember that the road to hell is paved with good intentions! The "Good Samaritan" may dearly regret what he/she has done. I know it's hard to stand by and watch and if it ends tragically you could also blame yourself for not doing anything, but if you do something and you don't do it right you might end up ruining 2 people... you (psychological) and the victim (both psychological and physical). Now that is a general lesson.In this particular situation the story is kind of strange. It sounds like she only wants the money of the women that helped her. The "Good Samaritan" must have been really stupid to try to move a victim of a car accidents. It a well known fact that in this kind of accidents the spine can be injured and any move could damage it further.

Well that is really despicable. But that's how it is in our days the stupid and bad people get all the rewards and the ones just want to help get some jail time or something similar. Justice is a little to blind in this matter.