xisto Community
rpgsearcherz

Cool Idea About A New Source Of Vehicle Energy Solar powered, electric cars.

More or less the car would be electric powered(battery) and also solar powered.Since most people work in the day and come home at night, here's how it would work:You wake up and start your car. If there is not enough light yet, it will start running on the battery. If you are someone who goes to work while it is still night outside, it will drain the battery as you go to work.Now you're at work, and it's day time. During this time, your car is re-charging the battery. If you'd like to go somewhere for lunch or whatever, it would charge as you drive as well.Now it's time to go home. You drained your battery on the way to work, however you are fully charged and ready to go home now. In the morning you re-start the process over again.More or less the battery would hold enough to go for two trips, so that it can hold for both the morning and night drive, and would use day time to charge it.Obviously this is a far-fetched idea to some, and I would work on some way to fix it, but I really wouldn't know where to start. I do think it would be a nice change though, and would solve the issue of pollution and many other things related to burning gas(not to mention save money!)

It sounds like an excellent idea to me. But i think the problem is the same with this idea, as mine and solar powered AC units in vehicles the technology is the key. Having solar units that will provide the necessary energy to charge the system in a relatively short period of time. Most solar unit's available take a couple of days to charge a battery or there giant in size and very costly. I have been researching solar cells and until they have ones on the market that are cheaper and put out more power in a smaller size then the concepts just sit in our heads. But with todays rising energy cost i'm sure there is someone some were working on the problem with solar cells.But for both applications the photovoltic cells have to be integrated into the body of the vehicle. and produce enough power in watts to make it practical. 746watts = 1 HP i have to find cells that will give me 3730watts for the ac compressor and i have yet to figure the rest out. There is Resistance in ohms etc.You would have to figure out all the resistance factors in the wiring leading to the batteries, voltage drops, etc. It can get really complicated.lol But a good idea i'm sure their would be lots of rich people that would buy the car. but look at the price of a Tesla Roaster i would love to have one but there super expensive.But if you can make it happen then you would be the super rich one. :) Nice to have dreams i have had mine in my head since i was a kid someday it will happen. I'm still working on different concepts for a Solar powered AC unit for Vehicles. and may add some more to my post about it just have to dig out my notes.

A square metre receives roughly 1300W of power from the sun when it is shining brightly and directly overhead. We shall say the average car roof is around 2 square metres, giving a maximum power of 2600W. Mass produced solar cells are around 20% efficient at best, so the best you could hope for is 520W of power. Of course, cloudy days and the process of storing this energy will cause that to drop even further.So, to power a conventional 100BHP car, you would need almost 300 square metres of solar panels. The solution, therefore, is to make a more efficient car, and more efficient solar cells, so that the amount of power produced and the amount of energy used by the engine/motor come in line with one another and you can run the car indefinitely.

Well in terms of efficiency of cars, there was a contest a while back for determining the most MPG a car can get, while still being "street legal."Some 16 year old kid managed to get a car to go an estimated 280 MPG, off gas. But to do so he had to take out anything and everything that was not needed. This meant no radio, no heat or air conditioning, etc.But then when looking at the energy from the car, an idea that I thought may work out is...Heat contains energy, and it's pretty much the "trash"(unusable energy). So what about taking the exhaust and using that heat to better recycle it? This would then require less energy all-around, and would also help out a lot with pollution and other issues relating to the heat(such as the cars that pull over and grass catches on fire underneath them).Looking at all of it, it does seem to be "impossible," but then again look at where we are today. Who would have thought less than 100 years ago that today we would have thousands of airplanes that can carry hundreds of passengers AND their luggage on each one, flying through the air? Especially all the way across the ocean to other countries.I just wish I was smart enough to be the person who comes up with the breaking information that finally gets everything to work as wanted. Having the ideas isn't want makes people rich - it's putting them into a usable form, :).

i saw the news about this about months ago. the driver described that inside the solar car was hot that by the time you reach your office, you wanna go home to take a bath again instead.

Electric cars may be great for the environment. Which is great! But they also have their disadvantages - limited speed and distance without re-charge.I dont think todays society could cope with a car that cant exceed 30MpH. Of course, there is going to have to be something to get people from a-b if fossil fuels are going to run out!

But then when looking at the energy from the car, an idea that I thought may work out is...Heat contains energy, and it's pretty much the "trash"(unusable energy). So what about taking the exhaust and using that heat to better recycle it? This would then require less energy all-around, and would also help out a lot with pollution and other issues relating to the heat(such as the cars that pull over and grass catches on fire underneath them).

The excess heat produced by the engine is normally use for heating up the interior of the car in cold weather, or to get rid of condensation on the windscreen... it is hard to get anything useful out of that "trash-heat" because its temperature is quite low (it is some time defined as low-quality heat). We could store that heat for later use, for example carrying around some heavy heat-sink (like a tank of water) to be heated up or transform that heat in some other form of energy through a physical or chemical process, but again I think the temperature would be too low to be used in any useful process.

Looking at all of it, it does seem to be "impossible," but then again look at where we are today. Who would have thought less than 100 years ago that today we would have thousands of airplanes that can carry hundreds of passengers AND their luggage on each one, flying through the air? Especially all the way across the ocean to other countries.

I agree (almost) nothing is impossible and if there were no choice we would do with anything we have, including driving at 30mph as someone suggests. But even without compromising our lives too much we could already use many technologies that could improve our "overall efficiency" and lessen our dependency on fossil fuels... but apparently there is still too much oil in the world to do so.