xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
maylx

Chrome Lags/crashes On Certain Flash Files

Being a coder (PHP/SQL/etc.), I have the popular browsers installed to ensure that styles and whatnot that I use are compatible with each and every browser that the individual is using. One day, I went for a change of pace and used Google Chrome for a while, browsing a website that utilizes the 'Smartfox' server (also has a flash chat).Several times, browsing the parts of the site with flash on it will cause my browser to give 'A script in the movie is causing Adobe Flash Player to behave slowly' or something along the lines. It gives me an option to terminate the movie/script, which upon doing so will cause my browser to crash.Does anyone know why it does this, and if Google actually knows about the issue?

I haven't had that happen, but when Adobe Flash Player gives you a message about it being slow, it generally means that you have either an infinite loop or a piece of code that takes ages to execute (like me trying to generate a 300x300x30 maze :)). I think it's at 15 seconds of executing code when the error warning is given. I just tested (with the same maze game thing from ages ago ;p), and Chrome isn't crashing when I terminate the script.If your computer is somewhat decent, then the .swf probably needs to be done differently to avoid this warning - 15 seconds of browser lockdown is a bit much, don't you think? (of course in Chrome it's a separate process so it isn't really a lockdown!) Since I don't have your script, I can't tell you what is going wrong (heck, I probably couldn't anyways), but I'm guessing that maybe you're trying to load too much data off the server at once.

I think I'm not yet in a position to judge this browser because I havent used it on apowerful machine. All I can say for now is the browser is as heavy on my machines as chrome itself. I only used it as the default browser for less than three days then we had to part ways.

Come to think of it, I've never used Chrome on a different computer. Probably never will, either. I just don't seem the point in abandoning Firefox, a browser that I've been using for the longest time now. I'm assuming that google will catch onto my issue sooner or later, and release some kind of fix for it if possible.

As Firefox gave up on me I tried Chrome, but when I downloaded files (mostly word files) for school it would not open them! Everything else seemed to work but it just did not open the files I had downlodad, and in some cases it would not open it at all. Now I have Opera. Maybe because it is kind of Norwegian it works so well. (Opera) :) Nah, just kidding - but it works better than Chrome. Chrome went all crazy on me.