xisto Community
enhu

Help: Putting Up Callcenter

I really don't know what category should i post:Our organization is planing to put up a 15 seater callcenter or maybe more later but we dont know where to begin. Assuming we've set up the all the connections using the cisco devices, VOIP and etc...whats next?

Notice from serverph:
moved to Business Forum

I'm not sure what you're seeking--advice on how to start a call center or what requires to set up a call center.If you have figured out the cost of operating a call center, then you would need equipments and managements to start a call center, right? And I'm assuming you have a plan to handle situations where you're not prepared for--i.e. what to do when the power goes out.But more basic plan is how is your call center handle the volume? Will there be a voice mail box that captures all incoming calls when all 15 seats are busy with other calls? Do you have reminders to return calls (that's not even explained). Going back, what kind of call center is it--technical support, telemarketing or simple retention calls?So I'm going to pick up where you left off... after setting up necessary network topology (Cisco network, VoIP etc), do you have an ISP who can handle the high call volume bandwidth? I usually give consultation that each phone would require 100kb upload bandwidth for clear VoIP. Have you calculated this one with your ISP? Some might say only 80kb is required. Let's go with my number.So 15 seats would mean 1500kb upload bandwidth requirements for VoIP. How much is ISP going to charge you for this kind of service? And what if ISP goes off, do you have a secondary backup service? Once you have this question answered, what kind of PBX will you be using or would you be leasing PBX from your ISP? Whaleback system is another good PBX but you can make your own PBX with Asterisk@Home version. It's your own Unix/Linux PBX using any broadband service.Once you have your PBX then are you going to purchase SIP ready phones or are you going to lease them? I purchased Hi-Def SIP phones at $400 each. Are you considering this in your budget or thinking about using PC to make VoIP calls such as Skype.This leads to another question, have you considered Skype as your solution? Are you going to have incoming calls? If so one number with multiple answers, a.k.a. snaking available phone?Call center is not easy to start unless you have a business plan. And until you explain exactly what you want to accomplish and what you exactly have so far, it's all a guessing game. Let us know how far you have come and what's your end goal. Perhaps someone else can fill in the blanks :)

Thanks. These expences are all headaches. Actually my girlfriend use to work in a callcenter, but she may not know about everything. We consider skype might be better in a telemarketing kind of callcenter. I'm assuming we have those equipments needed since one of our member is a CCNA and he said it would be easy for him to have those equipments since the company he;s been with right now sells those not so old cisco devices for low price and i think those equipment will work for now until we can have enough to operate for over 30 seaters or more. And he also said about the UPS [uninterupted power supply] but ISP, he didnt mention how heavy the expenses would be considering that its only a 15 seater.What dyou mean by snaking available phone?

I would agree using skype is a good idea, plus your call center can be home based, build a website for every one to log into to begin operations, would be a start of a good home based business, I also used to work at a call center, our calls were incoming, from payphones, and jail cells, and hospitals. The voip does have its downfalls such as echo and lower quality, but depending on your needs there are better voip networks just for business... as a recomendation i would go with cable and dsl both to ensure uptime if located in one building... if work from home then if there is a problem with some one logging in the calls will be routed to only the online individuals. if you have 15 people with their own connection and in different towns, there will be no problem unless the server goes down.

I recommend using open source technologies like Asterisk and simple SIP phones. When you learn to configure Asterisk proper you can set up your call center with automatic response, agents, queue, mysql integration and what not for free.

I really don't know much about this but you guys are talking about a callcenter, like...Let's say Verizon's support, right? And if so, why would you choose Skype? My understanding is that Skype was like an instant messanger speaking program.

Well, finally a topic where I can pour my heart out on. I work a Tech Team Leader with a Solution Provider and have worked on establishing lots of call centers. So, the first thing that you need to is what is your call center targeted at. Though all the call centers are more or less have the same purpose, there are certain types of call centers that can be established. One is that you have a product that you need to give support and sales informations for and establish a call center for that or you are providing the same for some other company like rent a call center. The other is to provide offshore support that is all the support and sales that are generated from, for example lets say US and they are redirected to your country through Internet where the need for an ISP and bandwidth would be needed. If this is a local call center then only the Voice-E1/PRI lines would be enough and no bandwidth would be required.After getting the part cleared on what would be call center would be targeted at, comes the point in establishing the call center technical specifications. There are four very good options among which my company targets the first three. You can go for any of the listed companies and can also use some third-party software in conjunctions of the companies to keep the costs down-low. They are,1) Cisco - Good company with equipments directed to voice infrastructure and also has modular equipements where only additional modules would be needed to expand the infrastructure.2) Avaya - Very good company that targets only the voice infrastructure so Swiches and stuff would be needed from different companies to establish the infrastructure. Usually can be given the tag of giving a one-box solutions but for devloping an enterprise call center the Contact Center is really expensive and surpasses in costs when compared to Cisco.3) Asterisk - opensource and free to use. Offers modularity and scripting support and works on SIP which is a standardised protocol and is relatively cheaper when compared to other products.4) Nortel - Also a good company regarding establishing VOIP infrastructure but I don't really have any experience on working this companys devices since we don't deal in them.Once the infrastructure has been dealt with then comes the management of it, reporting structure, optimization and stuff that related to it.All the call center representative need to be monitored and reports to be generated so as to optimize their calls and use the best practices and SOP's (Standard Operating Procedures) for better performance.Floor managers are needed who have Team leaders and Managers who deal with all of reporting lines.I tried to included all that was needed generally speaking but like BuffaloHelp said, Input is needed from your side that explains what you have in mind so further help could be provided.I am planning on writing a whiole topic in designing, the when, how and do's and don't of a call center so watch out for it, it could provide some help to you.

Sure. I am putting it together these days when i get the time. I am also getting inputs from my seniors who are in this buisness for quite a while and know almost everything about it so hopefully this would be a good resource for everyone interested in this.

So we have an expert in the forum! A call center is more than choosing over PRI/internet, call managers and the human capital, the CRM software (Customer Relationship Manager) is very important! In Brazil I have seen many job openings for Siebel certified professionals, how is the market in your side of the world? ps: there is open source CRM for the Asterisk :P