xisto Community
Saint_Michael

After 18 Years Windows 3.1 Is Officially Retired

I thought an operating system was considered dead when Microsoft stopped offeringsupport for it and stopped selling copies of it.By this criteria,Windows 98 would alsobe considered dead. I mean,Microsoft no longer 'manufactures' windows 98 as far as I know.

Wow, I can't believe that. I had no idea Microsoft even remembered Windows 3.1. :) I'm as old as it is, too... I guess that's pretty neat. I never used it, though. The first time I ever used a computer it was running Windows 95, I think, so that's as far back as I can tell anyone about operating system wise (aside from DOS, but I guess that one might not count)I think we have a lot to thank 3.1 for, since all of the progress we have now to the wonders of XP and the upcoming Windows 7 have been based on the 3.1 formula. I suppose in some ways, it's much more successful than some of its followers. *coughvistacough* :)

*** News Flash ***If you look under the hood of Vista/XP/200/98, etc, guess what you find?Relics of MS-DOS in action. All the Windows Operating Systems that are running today support the features of MS-DOS, only now they are done by a Graphical. But under the hood is MS-DOS Uhh... What? Sure, they have the command prompt. But, XP, Vista, and 7 are all based upon the NT clone. Not DOS. Sorry to burst your bubble. (Hence the loss of "Restart this computer in MS-DOS mode")