xisto Community
BuffaloHelp

Bicycle That Purifies Water While You Pedal Aquaduct mobile filtration vehicle

Recently I came to an astounding information by a private group leader. Did you know that dirty, bacteria infested water kills more people than anything in the world? This statement sounded like a life sentence I received from a judge.

A while ago, I made a post about PlayPump (PlayPump An Invention That Serves Humanitarian) And this was the immediate image I had when I heard the above statement. No matter what we try to do, if the recipient of PlayPump can't drink clean water the device alone would be a failure. All the hard work and pats on the back were only the half of the solution!

The mobile filtration vehicle named Aquaduct utilizes the most freest and abundant energy source--the human. As the rider puts his/her pedal to the metal the stored ground water in the rear tank would be filtered and stored to the front of the bicycle.

Posted Image

The full description from the design team

A peristaltic pump attached to the pedal crank draws water from a large tank, through a carbon filter, to a smaller clean tank. The clean tank is removable and closed for contamination-free home storage and use. A clutch engages and disengages the drive belt from the pedal crank, enabling the rider to filter the water while traveling or while stationary.

So imagine a rider travels 30 or more minutes to the nearest ground well. The rider then loads buckets of water to the back tank. As the rider travels back to his/her home or village, the time spent traveling would also purify the ground water to now a safe drinking water. Simply amazing! Not only this vehicle provides transportation much needed in underdeveloped country, it solves the one of the greatest question in, "how to deliver fresh drinking water to remote areas?"

Aquaduct is the creation of Adam Mack, Brian Mason, John Lai, Paul Silberschatz, and Eleanor Morgan and was recently announced as the Grand Prize Winner of the Innovate or Die competition.

Innovate or Die website

Add a Solar Panel to create electricity and then a Coffee maker on the handlebars?:)Just kidding... This is good news for the fresh water deficient part of the world, but because of the Poverty that exists in many parts of the Third world needing fresh water, what is the expected cost to purchase or to swap the charcoal filters? Is this a realistic program given the purchase price? Is there a prototype available for testing? what about replacement parts like tubes and tires?

This is absolutely astounding. This will be very useful indeed for undeveloped countries that have a poor and dirty supply of water. While you pedal, it works for you. By the time you get home, it will be ready to drink.If they can do this with water, I wonder what they could do with electricity :)

I dont get the purpose of this, there are filtration systems that work on the concept of gravity and capillary action why not use these? I mean I get that your gonna be pedaling the bike around anyways so it doesn't hurt...but it does seem that it might cost a fair bit...not sure though. I think the iodine tablets are the best solution, the bottles they come in are small lightweight and the ones I have used when I was trekking in the wilderness for a week took only 1hr to do there job. Granted it leaves behind a slight taste but this is a small sacrifice to avoid giardia. a bottle did cost like ~$10 but in the end I can hardly imagine the bike costing less.

This is a pretty cool concept for areas lacking fresh water. I would like to know though how much each of those bicycles cost. I guess if they were to purchase just a few per town then they could share it and people could go get their water and bring it back and hand off the bicycle to someone else, this eliminates some of the cost by not giving one to each inhabitant. I would like to learn though more how it works and how effective it will be. Hopefully the filter is easily changed and is not costly as well as the bicycle itself.

thats really cool :) but have to admit that is one hell ugly bike. i'm afraid i just couldn't be seen on a bike as hideous as that. its a great and cool invention that is excellent but i would actually have to kill myself with a plastic spoon if i was ever seen on an object of such astethics.good invention though :)

thats really cool :)
but have to admit that is one hell ugly bike. i'm afraid i just couldn't be seen on a bike as hideous as that. its a great and cool invention that is excellent but i would actually have to kill myself with a plastic spoon if i was ever seen on an object of such astethics.

good invention though :)

It is not supposed to be a bike for leisurely rides around the park or anything. It is supposed to help those in developing countries of the world that do not have the technology to purify their water. They generally have to walk out to their wells to pull up water but this comes from underground and can be filled with pollutants or dirt and parasites. This bicycle is supposed to be a way to kill two birds in one stone by giving transportation to and from the well and also a means to purify their water with ease and hopefully cost efficient.