xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
serverph

You Have Run Out Of Space For Your Gmail Account

We've created a little (no charge) website to help track down the big messages in a Gmail account at findbigmail.com. In the process I also gathered some links to articles about reducing space in gmail accounts that others may find useful: http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/. Its still in alpha, but it seems to be working well for people. We hope others find it useful. Thanks!

serverph; as you have mentioned about the Yahoo "aliases", Google offer this service also but you cannot pick your aliases as they are simply based off your main gmail email address, many users call this the dot trick and I find it really useful especially when signing up on websites.It works as follows:You own emailaddress@gmail.com, periods in the email will still redirect to the main email address so you can have a list of emails like:emaila.ddress@gmail.comem.ailaddress@gmail.comemailadd.ress@.gmail.comAnd they will all forward mail to emailaddress@gmail.com, sites interpret these addresses as new emails but Gmail interpret these all as one address. :)Also regarding the main post, It's so weird that you have completely exhausted your gmail accounts capacity.I recommend that you get a domain (free ones work, .co.cc etc.) and register your domain with Google Apps Standard (for free), this would give you lots of email addresses that all redirect to one email address with lots of space.See here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catch-all

Edited by SeanKelly (see edit history)

serverph; as you have mentioned about the Yahoo "aliases", Google offer this service also but you cannot pick your aliases as they are simply based off your main gmail email address, many users call this the dot trick and I find it really useful especially when signing up on websites.
It works as follows:

You own emailaddress@gmail.com, periods in the email will still redirect to the main email address so you can have a list of emails like:

emaila.ddress@gmail.com
em.ailaddress@gmail.com
emailadd.ress@.gmail.com

And they will all forward mail to emailaddress@gmail.com, sites interpret these addresses as new emails but Gmail interpret these all as one address. :)

Also regarding the main post, It's so weird that you have completely exhausted your gmail accounts capacity.
I recommend that you get a domain (free ones work, .co.cc etc.) and register your domain with Google Apps Standard (for free), this would give you lots of email addresses that all redirect to one email address with lots of space.

See here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catch-all

I never knew about the dot trick. That's pretty cool.

As for catch-all, I never thought about using Gmail for that, but then again after all the time I've used Gmail (I joined in the first beta days when it was invite-only) I'm only at 3%. I don't get attachments very often though.