xisto Community
Carson

Google/seo Question

The title may be misleading because I have no idea what this is called.

When searching for sites on google, it sometimes comes up with links within that website. For example, this site:

Posted Image

I am talking about how to get those links within the red box in that image. How can I do this for my website?

Thanks in advance.

In the CSS for that <div>, set the border to 1 pixel, solid, #ff0000

div#links { border: 1px solid #ff0000; }

Likely setting some margin too.

You must have misunderstood his question, your answer gave me a good laugh - no offense, of course :)

From what I know, you cannot tell Google how you want your web site indexed, but through some SEO it can surely be achieved. Do refer to the Google Support entry: https://support.google.com/webmasters/

haha i had the same reaction but when you actually pointed it out, i had to laugh out loud

yea, i don't think someone can tell google how they want their site listed. it's actually a good question though for seo. now i am curious bout this answer. was a very good question. if i ever come up with a solution to it, i'll post it here.

ok- editing this post to give my own quick opinion for now after researching a little

i believe the best way to start is to sign up for google webmaster tools. it seems to give all the needed tools and features for anyone interested in google seo. seems to me, that you would have no problems with google indexing your site, i would also suggest creating a very good site map so google can index all your pages. the more complicated part seems to be how google chooses which pages to index in their box. i think it has to do with how many users try to access those pages. so if you have a lot of pages on your site and google recognizes that you have a lot of pages since google has indexed them all, google is making it easier for all your users to create quick links to those pages maing it easier for users to navigate through your site rather than looking through a whole page of links trying to find the one you need. i don't know googles algorythms, but it would probably have to do with how many site visitors you have, how many pages and links to your pages you have, and how many visitors end up on certain pages and for a given length of time. all the things i have just mentioned would give the greatest relevency to the links google provides in their box.....and we all know how google is determined to index sites by relevancy now.

so for the time being, this is my best answer....although maybe someone can give a better one. i have outdated myself on seo for a year or so but i will continue researching because like i said, i am curious about the answer now :) it was a VERY good question!

You must have misunderstood his question, your answer gave me a good laugh - no offense, of course :)

From what I know, you cannot tell Google how you want your web site indexed, but through some SEO it can surely be achieved. Do refer to the Google Support entry: https://support.google.com/webmasters/

Edited by anwiii (see edit history)

It was early in the morning when I answered... :)I see now that the links are displayed by Google Search. Like the others, i have no clue exactly what you might need to do to get Google to display the ads in that manner...And, yes, it is funny, actually.... :)

Thank you all for your replies. I left Xisto a while ago due to a forum member offering hosting, but the community here is still very helpful. pyost, the link you gave me was very useful. This topic can be closed now.