xisto Community
HyBriD54

Ubuntu 8.10

Has anyone here tried Ubuntu 8.10 yet? It's the latest release, and it's supposed to have various subtle minor improvements, a Live USB creator, possibly a new theme, and guest accounts.I'd really like to try the Live USB creator. Although... wouldn't that stuff up your USB eventually from too many read/write cycles?

Not yet. I ordered for one. May be it will take 3 weeks or so. Many features like 3G Support, Guest Sessions are added. And I think their latest Live ubuntu from USB will be nice. Running OS from a CD(live CD) is really slow and annoying. Now with this USB live edition we can run ubuntu from a USB drive. And one more feature in this live USB is we can modify ubuntu. Its really nice, isn't it? :lol: I think, the Guest Session feature is just like Guest account in Windows... We have to wait and see if there are any other features added to it. Of course it well be definitely very very secure than Guest account of windows. I have to wait for some more days to check it. ^_^

Edited by xpress (see edit history)

I have upgraded to Ubuntu 8.10 over the network, and as before I am quite pleased with it. The theme as such - I have not tried it out yet. I had a lot of customization and tweaking done for my theme, and I have not yet 'ported' over to the new default theme.As for Guest account. Going to setup and see how it goes. :lol: I have a few friends coming over and I am a bit hesitant letting them login through my ID - so, I have to dual boot into Windows Vista (OEM bundled with my laptop). I just do not care whatever they do there since I work in Ubuntu full time.

I've tried out the Kubuntu 8.10 Live CD (I've got 8.04 installed at the moment). My main concern was that the screen seemed to flicker every few seconds. I assume this is due to the new Desktop Effects integrated with Kubuntu. If it's a bug then I'd like to wait for it to be ironed out before installing. Of course, it could just have been due to the fact it was running from the CD, which can cause some odd side effects which don't appear after installing.KDE 4, by the way, is looking excellent, and much more polished than the versions I saw for 8.04 and the earlier openSUSE releases that included it. It is much more stable and feature complete than the earlier versions, and is now streets ahead of Gnome.

I still haven't upgraded to Ubuntu 8.10, I hope I'll do that this evening (as I promise the previous 3 ones) because I have so much packages to upgrade and I am capped and no I can't just install from fresh because my laptops bios doesn't support booting from USB and my DVD-rom is broken and the PC can't read the CDs I insert into it, so I'm stuck with upgrading and making the computer more clonky.Btw, I don't really like KDE, I made a tutorial in here for it but I don't use it very regurlarly I use Gnome most of the time.

I can't find the Ubuntu Live USB edition on the site. Is it supposed to be on the CD ?

I have ordered for the CD. It'll take around 3-4 weeks.

btw

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There's another Ubuntu flavor up for download Ubuntu Studio (http://ubuntustudio.org/

Guess it would be good if someone can try it and tell us if that can be installed on a pen-drive or not :lol:

Edited by bluedragon (see edit history)