xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
BuffaloHelp

More Laptop Batteries Made By Sony Are Recalled

We all have seen, at least heard about, YouTube video of Dell laptop bursting into flames. It was supposedly credited to Sony's bad battery. The video shows at first smoking laptop, busting into flames and putting it out with a fire extinguisher. I never thought it was real--it all looked too staged to me :lol:But it looks like the recall by Sony wasn't over. Sony is recalling additional 35,000 Sony made laptop batteries for the United States market and some 65,000 laptop batteries for all overseas market. This is a huge blow to Sony company especially these harsh economic state.The reason for this recall is that Lithium-ion based batteries are potential to burn hazard. According to Sony, yes from the horse's mouth, there has been about 19 cases reported to over heat, 17 cases reported to have caused fire or started to flame and 10 cases actually casing minor damage--maybe it's to the laptop itself or properties around a laptop.Users who are using Sony made laptop batteries are to check with their manufactures of any recall updates. Laptop manufactures such as HP and Dell are strongly advised to check with their support on which models are being recalled. Toshiba laptops (woo hoo!) are not affected by this recall, according to Toshiba manufacturer.

yay :lol: i use a toshiba laptop lol. i saw that video on youtube as well. my computer does seem to get very hot after i've played like heaps of games but i can't imagine it bursting into flames!

Strange that a product from such a well know reliable company would go so drastically wrong. This must be a huge blow to them, but ts unlikely it will effect them too much as Sony make so much great stuff, that lasts for years. Although i cant imagine anyone whos laptop has burst into flames, buying from sony again in a hurry!

Ahh, gotta love battery recalls and you would think that after that last big one they would have design these laptop batteries properly or inspect them thoroughly to make sure they won't blow up, burst into flames or melt when some one turns a computer on.

Sony is a company in troubleMore Laptop Batteries Made By Sony Are Recalled

I am 43 years old and when I was a kid growing up in Scottsdale, AZ, the brand Sony was considered second to none. Everything I purchased from the iconic Sony Walkman in the early eighties to my stereo equiptment and everything in between had to be Sony.  I was like a walking PR firm for Sony.  I really did believe the old saying, "Sony, the one and Only."  I became very loyal to Sony over the years and that loyalty was destroyed when I started buying Sony computer products about 10 years ago.  It took years to turn me from a huge Sony fan to one that will discourage consumers to buy Sony products for one reason and one reason only, poor quality.

My first bad experience came in the year 2000 when I purchased a Sony Desk Top computer that lasted only one year.  I had constant problems and since this was my first experience dealing with an inferior product made by Sony, I felt too many good years supporting this brand would not deter me from continuing to buy Sony Products.  I continued to purchase Sony TV's as well as other products manufactored by Sony for I still believed in the company.Today, 9/9/09, I can safely say I will never purchase another Sony product again.  Ask anyone that has purchased a Sony product in the past few years and I would guess to say, quality issues will be discussed, for I have yet to know anyone that has purchased a Sony product recently that did not have problems. Even the Sony Laptop batteries that were not recalled, are still the worst in the industry.  One of the reasons people purchase a Laptop is so they can go places with their Laptop that they can't take their Desktop. The last Sony product I purchased and will be the last Sony product I will purchase in this lifetime, was the Laptop model number VGN-N320E.  This Laptop has a battery that was not recalled, yet last only about an hour after a full charge.  This makes it impossible to use the Laptop for more than 1 hour unless you are close to an electrical outlet.  The Sony battery, VGP-BPS2A/S is the shortest battery life of any batter pack out there that has not been recalled.

It's such a shame such a well respected, highly admired company of the past, could go down hill so quickly.  I am not telling anyone to buy this product or that product, but I am saying, stay away from Sony if you want quality products that are reliable and will last.

Sony went from being a status symbol in the seventies and eighties, much like a Mecedes Benz is today, to a brand that is as far from a status symbol as you can get.Brands like Samsung, the brand you purchased in the eighties when you couldn't afford Sony, has risen along with many other brands that were once considered inferior to Sony; are now brands Sony is chasing just to keep up with the quality of such brands.

At the rate Sony is going, it's just a matter of time before consumers will completely give up on the brand like I have.

Thanks for reading the honest truth about Sony.